Norwich Western Link
The development of a Norwich Western Link, to connect the new Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR) from the A1067 to the A47 west of Norwich, is one of our top infrastructure priorities. Since construction began on the NDR there have been sustained calls to fill in the ‘missing link’.
We have supported the development of a Norwich Western Link for a number of years and County Council members agreed in 2016 to include it as one of the County’s top three major infrastructure priorities, alongside the Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing and the Long Stratton Bypass.
The Norwich Western Link will provide a circular route around Norwich giving residents and businesses a number of important benefits, including:
- Removing additional traffic from our congested suburban city streets and outer ring road west of the city
- Adding to the benefits that dualling the A47 will bring
- Reducing rat-running in villages to the west of Norwich, improving quality of life
- Improving people’s living environment
- Improving links and journey time reliability to the west and north of the county
- Improving transport links to the A47 and beyond to the Midlands (including better connectivity to Norwich airport)
- Supporting economic growth
- Helping to encourage investment into Norfolk and encouraging further economic growth
We are very mindful of the potential environmental impact of building this road and are in discussion with environmental bodies in order to proceed with the project in such a way that cares for and protects the natural environment.
We are keen to see a Norwich Western Link delivered and technical work is continuing on developing a set of preferred options ready for public consultation in autumn 2018. Prior to this we will also be carrying out a public consultation on the projects strategic objectives in the spring of 2018. Subject to all the necessary statutory processes being completed, we are aiming to start construction on the Norwich Western Link in 2022.
There will be several opportunities to let us know your views on the project between now and then.
- Read about the proposal, including the location, strategic objectives, potential benefits and key milestones
- Here you will find a timeline of activity and all the public documents relating to the project
- Find out how you can contact the Norwich Western Link team, sign up to a newsletter or follow us on social media #NWL
- A list of frequently asked questions and answers about the NWL.