Lost cards

If you lose your card, report it as lost or stolen as soon as possible by logging into your holdall account.

This helps prevent fraudulent use and protects the money or tickets on your card.

You can then order a replacement card and your money or tickets will be transferred to your new card.

If you use the sQuid Travel Purse and report your holdall as lost, your sQuid Travel Purse will be locked to protect your money. When you receive your new holdall smartcard, you can register it on the sQuid website and your money will transfer to the new card.

Note - an admin fee of £10 will be charged for a replacement card.