Petroleum storage certificates

Petroleum Certification is required for those premises that dispense petrol on both retail and non-retail sites.

Petroleum Enforcement Authorities (PEA) is responsible for enforcing the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 & enforces DSEAR at workplaces covered by the regulations.

A Petroleum Enforcing Authority is responsible for issuing either a petroleum storage certificate for dispensing premises or a licence to store petrol at other types of premises e.g. private homes.
Home/Club/Association (can storage / NOT dispensing)

1. Below 30 litres – No Notification required
2. 30 – 275 litres – Notify PEA (Name & fuel location)
3. 275 litres+ Licence required  (Name, fuel location, valid for 3 years & licence conditions can be attached)

Workplace Storage

If a workplace does NOT dispense the PCR does NOT apply (DSEAR only) e.g. can storage/tank to jerry cans etc.

(NB. A workplace may have over 275 litres but unless dispensing then they do not need Certification/Licence.)

Note: the regulations do not apply to a workplace vehicle engine test bed so you do not need a petroleum storage certificate.
Dispensing – dispensing petrol means the manual or electrical pumping of petrol from a fixed storage tank into the fuel tank of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, i.e. retail and non-retail petrol filling stations.

At those premises where there maybe dispensing of petrol into containers, such activity is considered ancillary and not of the scale intended to be covered by Part 2 of the regulations

For further details and all other petrol related enquiries please email

Further information can be found on the health and safety executive website.

Was this webpage helpful?