Department for Transport challenge fund
On 1 March the Department for Transport launched the latest bidding round for the Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund.
There is a total of £75m available in 2017/18 with each Local Authority can submit one bid, for up to £5m.
The Fund is designed to help maintain and improve existing local highways infrastructure. The types of project that will be eligible for funding include:
- Structural maintenance, strengthening or renewal of bridges, retaining walls or other structures, particularly bridges in areas subject to flooding, including those areas affected in 2015
- Major maintenance, full depth reconstruction of carriageways, structural maintenance of tunnels and culverts
- Improvement of footways or cycleways, footbridge or cycle bridge renewal
- Renewal of gullies and replacement of drainage assets
A scheme may consist of a specific site, such as renewal of a structure, or it may be renewal on several sites within a local highway network.
It is not proposed to fund street lighting works, or fund bids to improve or maintain Public Rights of Way, eg bridleways.
To ensure strong local commitment, promoters will need to contribute at least 10% of total scheme costs.
The local contribution could include an element of funding from outside the public sector (eg developer funding).
Our bid is for funding to assist in the repair of the local road network within the fenland soil areas of Norfolk, where the severe droughts of 2010-12 caused exceptional damage across the network and have left a legacy of work which we have not been able to fully address with our available funding.
It consists of 25 individual sites with a cumulative length of 16 miles.
The amount of funding sought from the DfT is £3.57m to which Norfolk County Council would add £441,000.
All the works would be undertaken in 2017-18.
Challenge Fund bid documents
- Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund - Tranche 2A application form (pdf - 308kb)
- Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund - Tranche 2A Value for Money pro-forma (pdf - 68kb)
- Annexe A: Norfolk 2017 Challenge Fund location and site map (pdf - 1mb)
- Annexe B: Norfolk bid 2012 submission (pdf - 9mb)
- Annexe C: Reply from Norman Baker - 27 February 2012 (pdf - 65kb)
- Annexe D: Norfolk Fen Road 2017 Estimate risk register and QRA (pdf - 130kb)
- Annexe E: Individual site, condition data, plans and photos (pdf - 9mb)
- Annexe F: Traffic data - Norfolk DfT Challenge fund (pdf - 97kb)
- Annexe G: Accident data, road collision, poor defective road (pdf - 365kb)