Norfolk County Council has banned the release of sky lanterns or balloons on any land or property owned by the County Council.
We are committed to encouraging businesses, communities, landowners and individuals to switch to alternative ways of celebrating and commemorating events.
Sky lanterns and helium-filled balloons can cause many problems
- Sky lanterns pose a significant fire hazard to buildings, woodland and farmland
- Some 'degradable' items can last for months or even years
- Leftover parts from sky lanterns and balloons can trap or choke wildlife and livestock
There are many fun alternatives to balloon and sky lantern releases such as tree planting, flag flying, or even releasing giant bubbles! Visit the RSPCA website for more suggestions.
Norfolk County Council pledges to:
- Promote the restriction of the release of all types of helium-filled balloon and sky lantern on property and land owned by the County Council. This includes those that are made from bamboo or claim to be biodegradable
- Engage with businesses, communities, landowners, schools and individuals in Norfolk encouraging them to sign up to this charter
- Raise awareness of safer and more environmentally friendly alternatives that people can celebrate with, through promotion and campaigns
- If possible gather and record evidence of the impacts of sky lanterns and balloon releases in Norfolk