We are engaged in a project to widen access to library materials, public computers and quiet, creative spaces to meet or study even while the building is unstaffed, making your library available at times that are convenient for you.
A system to allow self service customer access, called Open Libraries, has been installed in the following libraries:
This system will be installed in more libraries over the coming months.
How Open Libraries works
You’ll need to register to use the library during unstaffed hours by talking to a member of staff at the library.
Under 16s cannot register for self service access, but they are welcome to come in to the library during unstaffed hours if accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Once you have registered to enter the library while it’s unstaffed, you will be able to scan your library card and type your PIN into the access point near the library entrance.
When you use Open Libraries, remember:
- Take care of your library space while staff are away
- Be aware when entering the building and don’t let anyone else enter behind you
- CCTV cameras are in place for your peace of mind and safety
- You will hear pre-recorded messages to let you know when staff are on site and when the library is due to close
- Please remember to bring your library card on every visit - you will not be able to enter the library without it.