Open Library gives you access to your local library, its books, computers and quiet, creative spaces to meet or study even while the building is unstaffed making the building available at times that are convenient to you.
The Open Library system which allows access has been installed in the following libraries:
- Long Stratton
- Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Library (first floor)
- North Walsham
This system will be installed in more libraries over the coming months.
How Open Library works
You’ll need to register to use the library during unstaffed hours by talking to a member of staff at the library. You can also find out more by phoning 01603 774777.
Under 16s cannot register for Open Library access, but they are welcome to come in to the library during unstaffed hours if accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Once you have registered to enter the library while it’s unstaffed, you will be able to scan your library card and type your PIN into the access point near the library entrance.
- Please remember to bring your library card on every visit - you will not be able to enter the library without it.
- In adverse weather the library may close. Please check for service disruptions through our social media channels, the Norfolk County Council website or call us on 01603 774777 before travelling to the library.
Open Library User Policy
The following User Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of library customers and staff, for the preservation and protection of library materials, equipment and facilities and to ensure a welcoming environment for reading, learning and other library activities.
Open Library members are subject to the following terms and conditions:
- You must have a full up-to-date library membership and aged 16 or over.
- You must have no recent history of misusing library services.
- Each adult must have Open Library membership to enter outside of staffed hours
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or carer at all times
- When entering or leaving the library please take all reasonable steps to ensure no-one else enters at the same time. You will be held responsible for the behaviour of anyone you intentionally allow in.
- The library will not be staffed during Open Library hours. There may be other people using the building but they will be unable to assist you.
- Please use all equipment and services responsibly and respect others using the space
- If at any time you feel unsafe, unwell or are concerned that a crime is being committed, please leave the library at once and seek assistance. In an emergency or in the event of a fire, please call 999 or 112. Please familiarise yourself with emergency evacuation procedures and evacuation routes for the library you are visiting
- Please remember that all items that you want to take home should be borrowed through the self-service kiosks.
- Please make sure you leave the library as directed by the pre-recorded messages when the library closes
- Use of the library when unstaffed is at your own risk. CCTV is installed which monitors the library 24/7 with images recorded. This is for your safety and security.
By entering the library during Open Library time you are agreeing that you have clearly understood the terms and conditions of using the library as an Open Library customer.
We reserve the right to update these terms and conditions as required, and will post any updates on this webpage and display clearly in local libraries.