About the Norwich Western Link
Download a map of the study area.
Emerging strategic objectives
A range of objectives are being developed to align with our current strategic objectives presented in national, regional and local policy including the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership.
The NWL emerging high level strategic objectives reflect issues and opportunities identified to support the principal aim of a modern and efficient transport system.
- Support sustainable housing growth in the western quadrant
- Improve the quality of life for local communities
- Support economic growth
- Protect and enhance the natural environment
- Improve strategic connectivity with the national road network
The development of this link looks to connect the Broadland Northway from the A1067 to the A47 west of Norwich.
A Norwich Western Link could give residents, businesses, visitors and people travelling through the area a number of important benefits, including:
- Removing additional traffic from our congested suburban city streets and outer ring road west of the city
- Adding to the benefits that dualling the A47 will bring
- Reducing rat-running in villages to the west of Norwich, improving quality of life
- Improving people’s living environment
- Improving links and journey time reliability to the west and north of the County
- Improving transport links to the A47 and beyond to the Midlands, including better connectivity to Norwich airport
- Supporting economic growth
- Helping to encourage investment into Norfolk and encouraging further economic growth
Subject to gathering evidence that supports the need for a Norwich Western Link and all the necessary statutory processes being completed, we are aiming to start construction in 2022.