Most domestic violence is directed at women but men are abused too, in both heterosexual and same sex relationships.
Seeking help as an abused man could be difficult. You may feel there’s nowhere to turn or that no-one will take you seriously.
Perhaps you’re ashamed about what is happening or feel like you have done something to deserve it.
You may be worried that people will think you are less of a man for ‘allowing’ yourself to be abused.
No-one deserves to be abused by the person they love. You have the right to be respected and live in safety.
- You are not alone – many men experience abuse
- The abuse isn’t your fault
- There are services that can help you
- You can’t change your partner’s behaviour
- Domestic abuse is against the law
Know your rights
- You have the same rights as women
- The police will take you seriously and arrest your abuser if there is evidence of assault
- He or she can be prosecuted
- Statutory services must also provide support regardless of gender
Accepting that you are being abused is an important step.
The next step is to break your silence and feelings of being alone by contacting an appropriate organisation or speaking to someone you trust.
You are not alone.
Respect Men’s Advice Line:
Telephone: 0808 801 0327
- Advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse
- Telephone support line 9am-8pm Monday and Wednesday, 9am-5pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- If you are unable to call, you can also receive support from the Helpline Advisors by emailing email@example.com and they will aim to reply within two working days
- Online chat support available 10am-4pm Tuesday and Wednesday
Telephone: 0300 561 0077
- 24 hour telephone support
- Male advice line staffed by specialist male workers 10am-12pm every Wednesday
Telephone: 01823 334244
- Telephone support line for male victims of domestic abuse 10am-4pm Monday-Friday
- Information about reporting incidents, planning an escape and police procedures
- Signposting to support for emergency housing and specialist legal help