Toggle mobile menu visibility

How we manage roadworks

A lawn cutter truck cutting a grass verge

Carrying out roadworks

Anyone who wishes to open up a road or use some sort of traffic management (eg traffic lights) need to apply for a permit to do so.

We review these applications and coordinate works to ensure they are done in a safe manner and minimise disruption.  They take into account the location, peak traffic times and other roadworks that may be happening nearby.

We encourage organisation to work at the same time.  There is even a financial incentive to encourage collaboration between organisations.

Organisations carrying out roadworks need to display a sign explaining who they are, their permit number and a telephone number that you can call for more information.

You can also find out this information using the map at  Emergency works may not be displayed on the map.

Local travel news may be able to provide more up to date information on unexpected traffic issues.

Road maintenance

Regular maintenance work includes surface dressing, potholes, pavements, road signs and markings, and trees, hedges and verges.