Toggle mobile menu visibility

Parking safely on the school run

Parent inside their car waving to child outside the car

Schools often have parking issues at the start and end of the school day. This is particularly the case where there are:

  • Narrow roads
  • Parking restrictions
  • Vans
  • Buses

The following information will help provide guidance on what to do and who to contact if you encounter any parking issues.

Parking restrictions

There may be parking restrictions on the roads around your school. Parking when these restrictions are in operation is illegal.

Parking restrictions include:

  • Prohibited parking - where there are yellow lines or clearway restrictions in operation
    • Double yellow lines apply at all times
    • Single yellow lines apply some of the time. They control when you can and cannot park.
    • Yellow zig zags mean you can't even stop to let passengers out of the vehicle
  • In some areas you can park, but only for a set time. Street signs will tell you the maximum permitted length of stay.
  • Some areas of Norfolk have resident parking permit schemes. They prevent anyone but a resident from parking in an area. Always check for signs to inform you of this.

If you encounter a vehicle parked in a location where not permitted, you can report this to Parking Operations who will alert the Civil Enforcement Officers managed by your local council.

If you believe that a vehicle is parked in such a way that it is causing a danger to other road users, then please call 101 and report the matter to the Police.

Parking considerately

Anyone can park outside a residential property as long as there are no restrictions in place. For example, permit parking or yellow lines.

Inconsiderate parking is:

  • Park on verges and on pavements
  • Park immediately either side of a dropped kerb
  • Park opposite a dropped kerb or driveway entrance
  • Take up too much space
  • Parking opposite or within 10 metres of a junction (obstructing drivers clear view emerging from or turning into a junction) Rule 243 of the Highway Code

If you experience inconsiderate parking, speak to the driver to find a solution. 

Vehicles should not cause obstruction to pavement users. Wheelchairs or pushchairs need to be able to pass without entering into the road.

If you can still drive around a wider than average vehicle, it's not an obstruction.

If you experience a vehicle causing complete obstruction, contact the police using their non-emergency number (101) or report online facility.

Parking across driveways 

If a vehicle has parked across a dropped kerb (a driveway) and it stops someone from accessing their driveway, this may be an offence. 

You can either contact:

  • The police using their non-emergency number (101) or report online facility
  • Civil Enforcement Officers also have powers under the Traffic Management Act (2004) to enforce against vehicles that are parked across a dropped kerb. They will only do this if permission from the householder is given in advance in writing and this will be applied to any vehicle (including the residents) parking.

Parking on pavements and obstructions

Pavements are a safe place for people to walk on.

Pavements need to be kept free of obstructions so:

  • Emergency vehicles and buses have access
  • Vulnerable, older or disabled people, who may have visual or mobility impairments, can keep their independence
  • Families with pushchairs can safely walk on the pavement without having to walk into the road
  • Paths don't get damaged which can incur further maintenance costs

Some areas of Norfolk have prevented parking on the verge. These are identified by signs at the side of the road. 

Yellow lines apply from the centre of the road to the back of the verge/pathway. A penalty charge notice could be issue to a parked vehicle.

It's also an offence to drive onto the pavement, even if you intend to park. Both these offences are criminal offences and should be reported to your local Police Team via their webpage.

If there is a more urgent need for the police to attend, please call 101 or use the report online facility

Exceptions to the rules advised on this page apply to disabled blue badge holders, for more information visit the Government Website Blue Badge Scheme

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon