Toggle mobile menu visibility

Claiming foster carer expenses

Your basic maintenance allowance help you cover the day-to-day costs of caring for a child or young person.

What you can claim

If you are a child's first foster carer, you can claim initial fostering allowance. This helps to make sure they have a reasonable level of clothing and possessions.

Other additional costs you may need to claim expenses for are:

Get approval before you spend

You must get approval for additional costs from your supervising social worker before you spend money on them. You may not be able to claim expenses for costs if you do not get them approved in advance.

Whenever possible, funding should be discussed at the placement planning meeting and looked after child reviews.

Submitting an expense claim

You must submit claims for expenses:

  • Within 3 months of spending the money, and
  • Before the end of the financial year (31 March)

If you have receipts for your costs, you should submit them with your expense claim.

Submit an expense claim on the Children's Provider Portal (ContrOCC) 

Foster East logo

Foster East logo

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon