Toggle mobile menu visibility

Foster carer fees and allowances

Foster carer overpayments

If you continue to get payments for a placement after the child or young person has left your care, you must contact the payments team immediately:

  • Email
  • Phone - if your last name begins with:
    • A, B, C or D, call 01603 638177
    • E, F, G, H, I or J, call 01603 679340
    • K, L, M, N, O, P, Q or R, call 01603 222156
    • S, T, U, V, W, X, Y or Z, call 01603 222120

How the payments team will recover the overpayment

If you are still providing other foster placements, the payments team will deduct the amount you have been overpaid from your next fees and allowances payment. If the amount overpaid is more than your normal payment amount, it will be deducted from more than one payment.

If you are not due to receive any further payments because no further placements are planned, the payments team will send you an invoice for the amount overpaid.

Help to repay

Talk to your supervising social worker if you need help to repay fees and allowances you have been overpaid.

In certain circumstances, you may be able to:

  • Repay in smaller amounts over a longer period of time
  • Repay a smaller total amount

This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. It will need to be agreed by your supervising social worker, fostering team manager and the payments manager.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon