Toggle mobile menu visibility

Changing your name after your marriage or civil partnership

Going on honeymoon using your name

If you want to travel on honeymoon under your new name, you can use our PD2 - 'Passports for newlyweds and civil partners' service to change your name on your passport.

The form must be signed by the registrar or minister responsible for conducting your ceremony. You can apply for the new passport up to 3 months before your ceremony, but as you send your current passport with your application you'll be unable to travel abroad until your wedding day. Your new passport is post-dated and only valid from the date of your ceremony.

If you plan to visit a country that requires you to obtain a visa before you fly, you should leave your name change until after your trip as countries will not issue visas to post-dated passports. It is also essential your flights are booked under the exact same name that is to appear in your passport at the time of your departure.

If you are getting married at an approved venue or registration office in Norfolk the charge for the registrar completing form PD2 is £35.

Submitting the form

  • To request a PD2 form please email:
  • We will email you a copy of the form which you will need to return to us by post. You will be contacted by a member of staff to make payment.
  • We will verify your booking, complete Part 1 of the PD2 form, and post it back to you as soon as possible. Please note: we are unable to sign and return the PD2 form to you any earlier than 3 months before your ceremony date.
  • You will then need to complete Part 2 of the PD2 form and attach it to your passport application 

If your ceremony is cancelled or postponed after completing a PD2 we are obliged to inform the passport office.

Changing your name after your marriage or civil partnership

Your marriage or civil partnership certificate may be the basis on which you choose to change your surname and may be used to do so legally.

Example 1: Samantha Jones marries Kenneth Brown. Samantha Jones may wish to take her husband's surname after the marriage. Samantha Jones is then known as Samantha Brown.

Example 2: George Matthews marries Kevin Baker. Kevin may wish to take his husband's surname whilst also keeping his own. Kevin Baker is then known as Kevin Baker-Matthews.

If you choose to take all or part of your spouse or civil partner's surname after the ceremony, you will need to present your marriage/civil partnership certificate to each institution (e.g. banks, employer etc).

To change your surname to your spouse or civil partner's surname (or to double-barrel your joint surnames) on your passport or driving licence you need to fill in the relevant forms requesting the change and present your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon