Toggle mobile menu visibility

Routes into social work

Return to children's social work

We can offer tailored support to help you re-register and get back into practice.

You may have taken a career break. Maybe you qualified a while ago then chose a different path. Or maybe you've never worked in a statutory role. We are interested in people with a range of social work backgrounds who are keen to get back into practice.

If you need to re-register with Social Work England (SWE), we will employ you as a Social Work Assistant so you get the hours of experience you need, and we will help you to re-register.

Once you have a SWE registration, you will get dedicated support from a Practice Consultant - a senior social worker whose specific role is to help you with your learning and development. You will receive a tailored plan so you can work on areas where you need to gain skills or experience.

We want your return to social work to be successful and for you to build on the skills and strengths you already have. You'll be part of a social work team, so you will learn from colleagues and you'll have the support of a team manager.

You will receive regular supportive and reflective supervision on both an individual and group supervision basis. You will have a protected caseload that will develop as you do, allowing time for you to learn and develop your practice confidence.

When you are ready, you will progress to a Level 2 Social Worker and receive a significant pay increment.

As a social worker within Norfolk Children's Services, you will receive a range of development opportunities and access to various avenues for career progression.

Norfolk takes a restorative approach to working with children and families, based on Signs of Safety. This means that while your direct work with children and young people will be central, you will also be working alongside families and their networks to help them find solutions that keep their children safe and well, long-term.

How to apply

If you would like an informal discussion on the next steps email us at, or go to our jobs site and apply online.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon