Toggle mobile menu visibility

Billingford Cornmill


This cornmill was built to replace a post mill that was blown over and destroyed in 1859. The new mill was run using wind power between 1860 and 1956. It was the last commercial windmill in Norfolk. It continued to work using an engine until 1959.

The mill has five storeys, a Norfolk boat-shaped cap, four patent sails and a six-bladed fantail which ensures the cap always faces into the wind. Most of the original machinery is intact, including two sets of stones, the great spur wheel, sack hoist, tentering gear and governors.

It was the first mill to be acquired by Norfolk County Council for preservation by Norfolk Windmills Trust in 1965. It is a Grade II* listed building. The mill was restored by the Suffolk Millwright, Tim Whiting and his team, between 2017 and 2021.

The mill stands on Billingford Common, a County Wildlife Site. Tours of the mill are available on open days and by appointment.


Address: Low Road, Billingford, Diss, IP21 4HL

Grid Reference: TM 167 786

what3words: ///powder.punchy.exporters

Open days for 2024

Billingford Cornmill will be open on the following dates:

  • Saturday 8 June

  • Sunday 21 July

  • Saturday 17 August

  • Sunday 22 September

Opening times are 12-4pm on all dates. Admission is £3 per adult, accompanied children free.

Image of Billingford Cornmill

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon