Toggle mobile menu visibility

Stracey Arms Drainage Mill

Stracey Arms

Richard Barnes of Southtown Ironworks, Great Yarmouth, built the mill in 1883. It is an important example of a modern Broadland drainage mill.

During the Second World War it was converted for use as a pillbox. It is a Grade II* listed building.

The mill is in good condition following a restoration project completed in 2023. The National Lottery Heritage Fund supported this project.

The brick-built mill tower has three storeys. The cap and sails are complete following the restoration. The internal machinery and turbine pump are original.

Norfolk millwright Richard Seago and the Suffolk millwright Tim Whiting restored the mill.

You can view the mill from the public footpath on the south side of the River Bure. It's also a major landmark on the north side of the A47 (Acle Straight) between Acle and Great Yarmouth.

Stracey Arms Mill Shop and Tearooms is a privately-owned business located next to the mill. A small car park is available.


  • what3words: ///enlighten.corkscrew.trout
  • Grid Ref: TG441089
  • Nearest postcode: NR13 3QE

Open days for 2023

  • 23 July, time to be confirmed

Image of Stracey Arms Drainage Mill

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon