Toggle mobile menu visibility

Feed Hygiene Regulations registration

The Feed Hygiene Regulations mean that all businesses that produce, supply or use animal feed have to have a system in place to ensure feed is safe for animals and the food chain.

In some cases, you must have written procedures based on risk assessment, for example where feed additives and pre-mixtures are bought in and used (on-farm mixers and manufacturers).

Who do they apply to?

Farmers, growers, manufacturers, feed stores, transporters, importers and some retailers, as well as food businesses who supply waste food.

Any business that supplies or deals with animal feed has to comply with these rules, as they apply to all feed businesses, which includes; 'Any undertaking, whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any operation of production, manufacture, processing, storage, transport or distribution of feed including any producer producing, processing or storing feed for feeding to animals on his own holding'.

Food and drink businesses that supply "co-products or waste food" for animal feed, are also covered by these regulations.

There is more information on food businesses that supply animal feed on the FSA website.

Register with us

If you are a feed business, including a farm, you must be registered with us.

Registration is free, and may also be a requirement of your assurance scheme, if you are in one.

Register online

Alternatively you can download and complete a registration form (PDF) [104KB].  Email completed forms to  We will send you your registration number for your records.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon