Toggle mobile menu visibility

Support for displaced international recruits

Man talking on a mobile phone while sitting on a sofa

You're considered a displaced international recruit if you have received a letter from UKVI saying your sponsor (employer) has had their licence revoked.

This means that you may need to find another sponsor who will employ you so you can stay in the UK. 

This page provides information and advice to support you if this has happened to you. 

What happens next

One month later, if the revocation is upheld, you will receive a second letter from UKVI. This will say your Certificate of Sponsorship has been cancelled. You then have 60 days to find new employment. 

Support available

If you want further information after you receive your letter, call the UK Visas and Immigration Contact Centre on 0300 790 6268 (select option 2). You can call Monday to Thursday (excluding bank holidays), 9am to 4.45pm or Friday (excluding bank holidays), 9am to 4.30pm. 

The Department for Health and Social Care have produced guidance to help international recruits looking for jobs in the UK's social care sector. This guidance includes information on:

  • How to avoid scams (being taken advantage of)
  • Spot signs of exploitation 
  • Funding further support 

Go to Applying for health and social jobs in the UK from abroad.

Support to help you understand your rights

Free, independent, legal advice is available through Citizens Advice or by calling their Adviceline (England) on 0800 144 8848. They have also produced guidance and advice for those on a Health and Care Visa, including advice on when a carer loses their job.

Free legal advice is also available through Law Centres. See the Law Centres Network website.

A list of regulated immigration advisers is available on GOV.UK's Adviser Finder. It includes details of advisers who do not charge fees. 

Care workers can also access support from trade unions and Diaspora groups or associations for advice and help. A list of organisations is available at GOV.UK

Justice and Care are a charity working with victims of slavery and human trafficking. They have developed information and guidance for international workers in the care sector. The guidance sets out details of employment rights, information on labour exploitation, and how to report concerns. 

What are my employment rights?

You may want to raise concerns if you feel you:

  • Have been underpaid or not received money for hours worked
  • Had money taken away from your pay 
  • Have a contractual repayment cause in your contract

ACAS gives employees free, impartial advice on workplace rights and rules. They can also help with dispute resolution. ACAS offers advice through its website and you can also call their helpline on 0300 123 1100. The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Care workers can join a trade union. Unions provide advice on employment rights and support with grievances or concerns with employers. A list of organisations is available on GOV.UK.

Do I have access to benefits?

A person with no recourse to public funds may be able to access some benefits if they meet qualifying requirements. 

The No Recourse to Public Funds Network have developed a tool to help work out when further housing and financial support is available.

Local councils have welfare schemes to help with food, clothes, and bills. Each scheme has its own rules about who can get help. Contact your local council to check if you're eligible.

A list of food banks is available through the Trussell Trust.

I now don't have any accommodation

You can raise concerns if your previous employer or sponsor provided your accommodation. Seek advice on your rights and tenancy agreement from Citizens Advice or Shelter

I don't have access to a computer

Many local councils provide free internet access in city centres and public buildings such as libraries. Internet and computer access in libraries is usually free but you may need to book a slot. See Book internet access in your library at GOV.UK.

Many local councils also run community hubs or customer service centres where free computer and internet access is available. Check your local council's website for details.

Online Centres Network provides access to the internet and help using it. These services are usually free.  

Could I have suffered abuse?

Your employer could have taken advantage of you if you:

  • Had your wages withheld, excessive deductions from wages, received pay below National Living Wage, or were underpaid for hours worked.
  • Worked excessively long hours
  • Were made to pay excessive fees or excessive repayment clauses.
  • Received threats to your immigration status if you failed to comply or refused to work extra hours.
  • Suffered physical abuse, harassment, or violence

If you're a victim of labour exploitation, call the Modern Slavery Helpline on 08000 121 700 or file a report online

Where do I go for job search support?

If you're seeking a new sponsor, you should get advice on staying safe and avoiding scams when searching for a social care job. See Advice to help you stay safe when searching for a health or social care job in the UK.

As well as any job matching support, you can use to find roles in your local area. The website also offers support on writing and updating a CV and advice on interviews. 

A register of licensed sponsor holders is available on GOV.UK.

I need help with my CV and interview support

There are charity and volunteer organisations across England who can support with clothing for interviews, as well as help to prepare for interviews. Support available in each area will vary. 

These organisations usually need a referral from a local council or referring agency and proof of job interview. Organisations include:

  • Smart Works work across England to support women prepare for interviews with clothing and interview preparation support
  • Suited & Booted offer interview training, support and smart wear for unemployed or low-income workers. They offer support for men and support for women.
  • Suited for Success offer interview clothing and one-to-one job coaching support.
  • Timpson offer a free dry-cleaning service for those attending interviews. The service is available across all 500 stores.
  • National Careers Service have online resources to support with writing CVs, preparing cover letters, completing applications, and preparing for interviews. Care workers can also speak to a careers adviser at the National Careers Service if they need support with writing a CV. 

I want to leave the UK

You may choose to leave the UK voluntarily. If you don't have the means to do this, you may be eligible for support from the Home Office to leave the UK. See Get help to return home if you're a migrant in the UK.

If you're considering whether to return to your country of origin, get legal advice from an immigration adviser so you're clear about the implications. Contact your local council who will help you.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon