Cookie Consent by Will you have to pay for your care? - Norfolk County Council

Will you have to pay for your care?

Most people have to make a contribution towards the cost of their care.

You may get some financial help from us, but how much you will receive depends on what you have in savings and capital.

If you want to work out what help you might get, you can use our online financial calculator.

You won’t need to include the value of your home if you are looking to have care at home.

If you have less than £23,250 in savings and capital

You’ll get some financial help from us towards the cost of your care and support.

You’ll need to have a financial assessment so that we can work out how much we’ll pay and how much you’ll pay.

The assessment will focus on solely on your finances. If you have a partner or spouse their circumstances will not be considered, although you should tell us about any savings or capital held in joint names. Find out what you will need to bring to your financial assessment.

We will also look at any Disability Related Expenses you have when making our assessment. We will take these off the amount we consider to be your available income, reducing the amount you pay. Find out about how we work out your expenses and download the form.

We’ll then work with you to develop a care and support plan. This will set out how your needs will be met.

If you want more information about care at home and how we may be able to help you, contact our social care team.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings and capital

You won’t be eligible for any financial help towards the costs of your care and support.

There are organisations that can help you to plan and make choices about your care in this instance and you should always seek independent financial advice. 

See our page If you pay for your own care for further information. 

Claiming benefits

Whatever your financial circumstances, you may be eligible for certain benefits if you need care and support.

You should claim Attendance Allowance if you’re aged over 65 and need help at home because of an illness or disability. You could receive:

  • £57.30 a week if you need help either in the day or at night
  • £85.60 a week if you need help both day and night

If you're over 65 you could consider claiming Pension Credit

If you’re under 65, you could consider claiming:

The GOV.UK website has more information about the types of benefits and how to claim them.

Care charges

You may find our leaflets Residential care charging policy and Non-residential care charging policy useful with regard to care charges and paying for care.

Was this webpage helpful?