Family Information Service
Norfolk Family Information Service (FIS) offers guidance, advice and information on childcare to families with children age 0-19 (age 0-25 with additional needs). If families have issues that are affecting their wellbeing, we can signpost them to other support services and organisations.
We also offer advice and support to all childcare providers in Norfolk and other professionals and organisations.
Norfolk FIS was awarded the Families First Quality Award in 2016, in recognition of excellence in providing information, advice and assistance to local families.
Help finding childcare
We maintain and update the details of over 1,400 Ofsted registered childcare providers in Norfolk in the childcare and out of school activities category of the Norfolk Directory, which is available online and can be accessed free of charge by families and professionals.
The comprehensive directory includes contact details, whether the provider has current vacancies, information on the facilities and establishment and a website link.
If you cannot find suitable Ofsted-registered childcare, we offer a free brokerage service.
We can also advise and provide information on:
- Free childcare and early education for 2, 3 and 4-year-olds
- Whether your 2-year-old is eligible for free childcare, with an instant online check
- 30 hours free childcare for working parents of 3 & 4 year-olds - launching 1 September 2017
- Help you can get with childcare costs and paying for childcare including Tax-Free Childcare - launching early 2017
- Types of childcare and early education providers including childminders, pre-schools and playgroups, day nurseries, nursery schools, breakfast and after-school clubs and holiday playschemes and what type of provider might be most suited to your family’s requirements
- Where your local Children’s Centre is in Norfolk - there are 53 Children’s Centres which offer families a social hub and support in their community
We also signpost parents, childcare providers and professionals to support services and information on:
- Family wellbeing which includes information on children’s health and wellbeing, Being 2 in Norfolk and Being 3 in Norfolk
- Playing and learning at home and activities for children and young people
- Early Help services that can help families who need support
- Keeping children safe and what to do if you have concerns about a child or young person
- SEND Local Offer services for children and families with special educational needs and disabilities
- Norfolk SEND Partnership which is a free, confidential and impartial service offering advice on special educational needs and disabilities. They can help advise on the law on SEND, EHCP and SEN statements, school admissions and exclusions, and how to build positive relationships with schools.
Contact us for further information
You can contact us by email or phone and we will look for childcare on your behalf, contacting childcare providers based on your requirements.
If you need advice and assistance you can contact us Monday – Friday on 0344 800 8020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also hold and attend outreach events across Norfolk throughout the year to enable us to speak to parents and childcare providers face-to-face. Find out where we will be next.