Talk about where clothes go
- Name the clothes as you take them out of the washing machine ‘I’ve found a sock, that goes on our foot’
- Ask your child to tell you where clothes go – tell or show them if they’re not sure
- Be silly and say the wrong thing and see if your child can correct you – ‘trousers go on my head’
- Ask your child to find things that you name – e.g. ‘can you find a t-shirt?’ or show them a picture of the item you want them to find. Remember to say the word at the same time!
- You could also ask them to find things by description, e.g. ‘can you find something red/something stripey/spotty?’
Learning describing words
- What’s wet/dry, clean/dirty? You could also talk about things being the same or different
- Hold up a piece of clothing and ask your child to find something that’s the same/different
- Who does it belong to? Is it Daddy’s, is it Mummy’s?
- Talk about the colour of the clothes and what they are called
- Use words “in” and “out” of the washing machine while you’re putting the clothes in or taking them out
Download a PDF postcard version of this page