Cookie Consent by SEND words and terms - Norfolk County Council

SEND terms and words

What does the word mean?


What does this mean?

Additional learning support

What further education provision (age 16-19) describes special educational needs (SEN) as


Someone who helps children and young people make decisions in their lives

Annual Review (AR)

An education, health and care plan (EHCP) must be reviewed every year to make sure the child or young person is making progress and getting the support they need


To argue against something or question a decision you don’t agree with using the law


A review to find out what extra support a disabled person needs. For example to decide if a student needs extra support in school or college


A person named by us to care for a child for whom we has parental responsibility

Children’s Services

Our teams who work with and support children, young people and their families

Code of Practice

A guide to tell us what we need to do to work within the law and provide support for students with special educational needs and disabilities

Complex health needs

Children or young people who have severe health conditions that require ongoing health intervention. They need support to carry out activities of daily living. This could be a severe disability

Complex needs schools

These schools are formerly known as special schools and are for pupils with special educational needs

Direct Payments

Allow people to receive money directly from us, so they can pay for their own services and live more independently

Disagreement resolution

A way of trying to come to an agreement when people disagree. For example to help resolve disagreements between parents of a child with special educational needs, and a school

Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) profile 

An assessment of children’s achievement at the end of the academic year when they turn 5

Education, health and care plan (EHCP)

A document that sets out what support children and young people with special educational needs should get to help them learn

Family support process

An approach to support children and families, through a coordinated action plan of different services. It puts the family at the heart of decision-making

Early Years Foundation Stage

The name given to the curriculum for children age 3 until the end of the Reception (age 5). There is statutory guidance for settings to follow

Free school

A state-funded school for children of all abilities, which are set up due to parental demand for more choice in local education. They have the same Ofsted inspections as all state schools and will be expected to maintain the same high standards

Graduated approach or response

This approach recognises that children learn in different ways and can have different kinds or levels of special educational needs. Increasing specialist help should be asked for, depending on the needs of the individual child


The practice of educating children with special educational needs in mainstream schools wherever possible

Independent school

A school not maintained by a local authority. These are also known as private schools

Individual education plan (IEP)

A plan of the support to be provided for a pupil with special educational needs. It records key short-term targets and has teaching and learning strategies different from, or additional to, those in place for the rest of the class

Key Stage 1 (KS1)

The stage of the National Curriculum between ages 5-7 years (Year groups 1 to 3). Pupils at KS1 generally sit their KS1 tests aged 7

Key Stage 2 (KS2)

The stage of the National Curriculum between ages 7- 11 years (Year groups 4 to 6). Pupils at KS2 generally sit their KS2 tests aged 11

Key Stage 3 (KS3)

The stage of the National Curriculum between ages 11-14 years (Year groups 7 to 9).

Key Stage 4 (KS4)

The stage of the National Curriculum between 14-16 years (Year groups 7 to 9). Pupils at KS4 generally sit GCSEs and equivalents aged 16

Local Authority

The local government responsible for managing services in your area – Norfolk County Council

Local Offer

One place that brings together information about all the support and services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. In Norfolk, this is

Looked after children (LAC)

Children that have been taken into care and are looked after by the Local Authority


Services that all children and young people use

Mainstream school

A school which is for all pupils, not just those with special educational needs. A mainstream school could be a maintained school or an independent school

Maintained school

A Government-funded school which provides education free of charge to pupils in either mainstream or special settings. Maintained schools are generally community schools, community special schools, foundation schools, foundation special schools, voluntary aided schools or voluntary controlled schools. Academies are not maintained schools


A way of trying to come to an agreement when people disagree over an education, health and care plan. An independent mediator brings together the two parties in an informal way to try and resolve the disagreement through discussion

Named officer

A person at the Local Authority who liaises with you about your child if they are undergoing an education, health and care assessment. In Norfolk this will usually be an education, health and care plan coordinator

National Curriculum

This sets out a clear, full and statutory entitlement to learning for all pupils, determining what should be taught and setting attainment targets for learning. It also determines how performance will be assessed and reported.

Non maintained special school

Schools that provide education for children with special educational needs but are not under Local Authority control. These schools charge fees on a non profit making basis. Most maintained special schools are run by major charities or trusts.

Norfolk SEND Partnership Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

They provide free, impartial advice and support to parents whose children have special educational needs.

Note in Lieu (NIL)

A document produced if the Local Authority decide not to issue an education, health and care plan following a statutory assessment. The document sets out how can your child’s needs can be met through school based or early years setting provision, with external support if necessary


The organisation that makes sure schools and social care services are doing a good job

Person centred planning

A way of planning services, based on what the person using them wants and cares about

Personal budgets

Money that people can use, and decide themselves how to spend, to pay for support

Personal health budgets

Money that people can use to spend on things to help them improve their health condition


Home based education for pre-school children with special educational needs

SEN Support

When a pupil is identified as having special educational needs, interventions will be provided that are additional to or different from those provided as part of the school's usual differentiated curriculum. An Individual Education Plan will usually be written

Short breaks

Opportunities for disabled children and young people to spend time away from their family and do something fun. For example a day, evening, overnight or weekend activity

Special educational needs coordinator (SENCO)

A member of staff who has responsibility for coordinating the special educational needs provision within a school. In a small school the head teacher or deputy may take on this role. There are Early Years SENCOs, primary school SENCOs and secondary school SENCOs

Special educational needs (SEN)

A child or young person has special educational needs (SEN) if they need extra support because they find it harder to learn than the majority of other children or young people of the same age

Specialist resource base (SRB)

Specialist resource bases (SRBs) are facilities hosted by mainstream schools. They provide additional support and intervention to children with special needs

Specialist support

Services specifically designed to support disabled children and young people, for example speech and language or short breaks

Statutory assessment

An investigation of a child’s special educational needs which may or may not lead to an education, health and care plan.

Statutory services

Services that the government provide, for example education, health or social care services


In education, this means moving between school stages, for example, from preschool to a primary school, or from junior school to a secondary school. At 16-years-old it can mean moving on to college, work, training or to living independently

Transition plan

A plan following the Year 9 annual review. It will be updated at subsequent annual reviews. The purpose of the plan is to draw together information from a range of individuals within and beyond the school, in order to plan together for the young person’s transition to adult life. Transition plans may also be drawn up at other times, for example when planning a move between schools

Virtual School

Children and young people in a Virtual School will be in a mainstream school or specialist provision, but they are also on the roll of the Virtual School. This means they get additional support and encouragement if needed

Was this webpage helpful?