Specialist Resource Bases (SRBs)
Learning and Cognition (LCN) bases
Learning and cognition bases are for children who:
- Will be able to make enough progress so that they can return to mainstream after their placement
- Have assessed needs which relate to learning difficulties
- May also have other needs such as speech language and communication, specific learning difficulty, physical, medical or sensory needs
- Are on roll at a mainstream school
- Do not meet the criteria for complex needs schools
- May have difficulties with independent learning skills that are barrier to their learning; such as listening and speaking well, completing work on their own and asking for help
You do not need an Education Health and Care Plan to access support.
The support available
The learning and cognition bases offer sessional placement for up to 4 terms. The children attend the learning and cognition base four days per week, with their fifth day at their home school.
They have small classes of up to 10 pupils with a high adult to child ratio. The staff includes a teacher and extra support staff. Children access various inclusion activities in the SRB school as part of the placement.
The bases follow the national curriculum differentiated as appropriate.
Children and schools can access support from our learning and cognition outreach teacher, who provides advice, support and training.
There is also a Dyslexia Outreach Service who provide services to children, schools and families as part of the SEND local Offer for Learning and Cognition support.
The team is supported by an educational psychologist, a specialist teacher from a Norfolk Special School.
Key stage 1 (up to year 2)
Key stage 1 and 2 (year 1 to 6)
Key stage 2 (year 3 to 6)