Admission to reception classes
The Reception class admission round for September 2018 entry closed on 15 January 2018. Decisions were made available on 16 April 2018.
If your child has been offered a place at one of your preferred schools:
- The Headteacher of the school has been informed that your child has a place. They will contact you with further information. The first day of the autumn term 2018 is Thursday 6 September. Your child should attend on that day unless you are informed otherwise. Please notify us email@example.com as soon as possible, if you no longer require the place offered
- Children are entitled to a full-time place from September. Parents are allowed to defer their child’s entry into school until later in the school year. Your child must be in full-time education by the term after their fifth birthday. Admission must take place within the 2018-19 school year. Please contact the school if you wish to consider deferring your child’s admission
- If you have been offered a place at a school outside of Norfolk, you will need to contact the school to find out the school’s individual admission arrangements
- If the school is unable to contact you about your school place, or you do not respond to any correspondence from the school, the place offered could be withdrawn
If your child has been refused a preference
If we were unable to accommodate any of your preferences, an alternative school has been offered. You had to confirm to us in writing firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 11 May 2018 your acceptance of this offer. If a preference has been refused at any school, your child’s name will be kept on a waiting list for that school until the end of December 2018.
If a preference was refused, you had the right of appeal by Friday 11 May. Any intention of appeal lodged after Friday 11 May 2018 cannot be considered, unless there are exceptional reasons why the specified date was missed. Appeals will be heard during June and July 2018.
(The right of appeal for a place in an infant class with 30 pupils, is more limited than any other appeal. This is because infant classes are limited by law to 30 children with a single teacher. Information is included in the booklet A parents’ guide to admissions to schools in Norfolk – 2018/19 (pdf).)
If your child has been refused admission to a school outside of Norfolk and you wish to appeal, you should contact the local authority where the school is located. You should check the closing date for appeals with the authority, as this can be different from Norfolk.
Home to school transport
Free school meals
All pupils in reception in state funded schools are eligible for free school meals. If you receive certain benefits the school can also get additional funding. Read further information.
Additional admissions information
If you are considering applying to defer your child's admission to Reception class to the following school year, please read the guidance below:
- Guidance on deferring your child’s Reception place until the following year (pdf)
- Department for Education's advice on the admission of summer born children
Full information about the admission process in Norfolk in 2018-19 and frequently asked questions:
- A parent's guide to admissions to schools in Norfolk - 2018-19 (pdf)
- Guide to first admission schools in Norfolk (pdf)
Admission to Reception classes for September 2019 entry
Admission to reception classes for September 2019 entry opens on 28 September 2018.