BIPC Norfolk is the complete solution to your business information needs. We offer free and low-cost access to business intelligence, market research, 1-to-1s, training and IP support to aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups and more established SMEs in Norfolk.
Currently the BIPC Norfolk operates from the Norfolk & Norwich Millennium Library with hubs in Great Yarmouth, King’s Lynn and Thetford libraries. Please check for opening times and any restrictions on services due to coronavirus.
While it’s not possible to deliver our services face-to-face at the moment, we are working with the British Library Business & IP Centre and other partners to offer a range of free online webinars and events to support the business community - visit our events page to find out more and book.
It’s not necessary to be a library member to attend any of our events, but if you would like to access any of our online services or use the services at a library you will need to be a member - join the library.
Alongside the national Reset. Restart programme run by the British Library Business & IP Centre, we are offering a series of free local 1 to1 support sessions, workshops and networking events up to the end of July 2021.
Find out more about our local Reset. Restart programme.
Resources and facilities
The Business & IP Centres are equipped to enable you to conduct your own research. They offer PCs with office software, free access to the internet and study spaces as well as:
- Trade and company directories listing local, national and international businesses
- Market Research reports
- Current and back copies of seven of the most popular business periodicals
- Information on company and business law including Health & Safety at work
- A comprehensive collection of business books available for reference and loan
We can help you:
- Target customers in specific business sectors
- Research your competitors
- Research a product or service
- Source a product
- Perform statistical analysis on your business sector
- Research grants available to you
- Run financial status reports and credit checks on potential partners, customers and suppliers
- Identify what protection may be appropriate for your products and services and how to go about getting patents, trade marks, designs or copyright. Free patent and trade mark search advice also available
Protecting your ideas is essential when developing an invention or design. By knowing and understanding your IP rights you can ensure that you are safeguarding your creativity effectively. Our IP team can help you work with patents, registered designs, copyright and trade marks and signpost your next move. Email us at email@example.com to book a one-to-one with one of our qualified staff.
As well as the support we can provide locally, The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the government body responsible for granting IP rights. IP for Business from the IPO is a range of online tools designed to help you understand, identify, protect and exploit your IP assets to their fullest potential.
- What is it? A free, interactive online learning tool to help you identify assets which may be protected by IP rights. Made up of four modules on the main IP rights, it takes around an hour to complete and is also CPD accredited.
- Who is it for? Everyone, from small business owners to professional advisors.
IP Equip app
- What is it? Perfect for accessing simple IP information on the go, the app gives you an overview of IP rights and how to make the most of them. Free to download on Apple iOS and Android devices.
- Who is it for? Anyone who wants instant access to IP information.
You can search for Business & IP Centre books on the library catalogue, and reserve items to collect at your nearest branch. We also have a wide range of business eBooks available.
The Business & IP Centre provides access to a great selection of free online subscriptions to help you access up to date business information. These include COBRA (Complete Online Business Advisor), IBISWorld and FAME (Financial Analysis Made Easy). Find more details and a list of all subscriptions available in Norfolk Libraries here or access COBRA, IBISWorld and FAME below.
Search Cobra (Complete Online Business Reference Advisor) from home using your library card number for business information, opportunity profiles, start-up information and more.
Use IBISWorld for in depth UK market research. Available in Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Library, Thetford, King's Lynn and Yarmouth libraries. Ask staff to log you in
For information about companies, directors and industry research FAME (Financial Analysis Made Easy).
We have a year-round programme of events including SpotlightOn workshops, webcasts, marketplaces and one-to-one advice sessions.
For details of what's happening soon, and to book where applicable, visit our events page. You can also keep up to date with all our latest developments on our BIPC Twitter and BIPC Facebook pages.
Business & IP Centre Norfolk
Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Library
Tel: 01603 774740