The A47 - Just Dual It!
We believe getting the A47 fully dualled is vital to the future success of Norfolk.
The A47 trunk road is managed by Highways England on behalf of the Government and runs from just past Peterborough in the west and across the breadth of Norfolk to Lowestoft in the east.
Currently just 47 per cent of this major route is dual carriageway and while Highways England have committed to making £300m of improvements to the road, including dualling some stretches, this will still leave substantial sections of the A47 as single carriageway with no current plans to dual them.
A fully-dualled A47 would bring significant benefits to Norfolk. Shorter and more reliable journey times along the road and onwards to the Midlands would not only improve quality of life for many residents but also provide a huge boost to the regional economy by attracting new businesses, supporting existing businesses to grow and become more profitable, encouraging more visitors to the region and creating more jobs.
So we have launched the Just Dual It! campaign with Norfolk Chamber of Commerce and the Eastern Daily Press. The campaign is calling on the Government to:
- Fund the dualling of the Acle Straight (near Great Yarmouth) and Tilney to East Winch (near King’s Lynn) sections of the A47 in the next round of Government-funded improvements for the UK’s trunk road network, with the work carried out between 2020 and 2025
- A commitment from the Government to make funding available to dual the entire length of the A47 by 2030
We firmly believe that we have a strong case and if we can make enough noise about it, this can make all the difference.
How can you get involved?
Pick up a Just Dual It! postcard from receptions in any of the following buildings:
- Norfolk County Council, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich
- The Eastern Daily Press, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich
- Norfolk Chamber of Commerce, 9 Norwich Business Park, Whiting Road, Norwich
- Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Town Hall, Hall Plain, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2QF
- Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk, Kings Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn
Fill in the postcard and either hand it back or stick on a postage stamp and post it.
You can also tweet your support for the campaign using the hashtag #justdualit. If you include your full name and location (eg village/town name) in the tweet, we will transfer your message onto a postcard for you.
The postcards will be collated in the summer with the intention of taking them down to Westminster to evidence the strong support that exists for getting the A47 dualled.
You can stay up-to-date on news and updates about the campaign, and share it with your friends and contacts, in the following places:
- This page and our Facebook page and Twitter account
- The Eastern Daily Press website, Facebook page and Twitter account
- The Norfolk Chamber of Commerce website, Facebook page and Twitter account
Please help us to show the Government how important this is to Norfolk. Thank you for your support!