Cookie Consent by Information for developers - Norfolk County Council

Information for developers

From 15 April 2015 Norfolk County Council as Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) is a statutory consultee on all planning applications for major development. The LLFA is therefore required to comment on planning applications in respect of surface water drainage. This was previously the responsibility of the Environment Agency.

The changes that made the LLFA a statutory consultee role are detailed in the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015)

From 6 April 2015, planning policy and decisions on planning applications relating to major development are required to ensure that sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) are used for the management of surface water. The role of decision making on planning applications is the responsibility of Local Planning Authorities (LPAs).

Each year, the Lead Local Flood Authority (Norfolk) are required to report the levels of service in the role as Statutory Consultee to Planning to the Department for Communities and Local Government.

Pre application advice for a major development

We recommend that developers/consultants/applicants familiarise themselves with our LLFA guidance note on sustainable drainage systems before submitting a planning application.  This can be found in the further guidance section at the bottom of this page.

Bespoke pre-application advice is offered on a chargeable basis at the rates outlined in the table below. 

  • Site specific risk assessment - £87 (inc VAT)
  • 10-99 houses OR low flood risk OR 1ha - £261 (inc VAT)
  • 100-250 houses OR medium flood risk OR 2ha - £522 (inc VAT)
  • 250 + houses OR significant flood risk OR 3ha + - £1044 (inc VAT)
  • Masterplanning - From £1044 (inc VAT)

If you are unsure of the risk banding you can search on the website.

Read our terms and conditions

If you are interested in applying for Pre-Application Advice, please contact us at

Land drainage consent for work on ordinary watercourses

How to apply for consent and how much it costs.

Public highway surface water drainage design

Information on highway surface water drainage.

What is major development?

Major development includes any of the following:

  • The winning and working of minerals or the use of land for mineral-working deposits
  • Waste development
  • The provision of dwelling houses where the number of dwelling houses to be provided is 10 or more; or the development is to be carried out on a site having an area of 0.5 hectares or more and it is not known whether the number of dwelling houses to be provided is 10 or more
  • The provision of a building or buildings where the floor space to be created by the development is 1,000 square metres or more
  • Development carried out on a site having an area of one hectare or more

How to find a consultant

There are several Chartered Institutes and organisations who maintain lists or searchable directories of professional qualified consultants who can provide flooding, drainage and other environmental services to support planning applications.

A chartered civil engineer (qualified through the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)) would also be professionally qualified to undertake various assessments, however a searchable list of companies who employ chartered civil engineers isn't available.

Other local companies are also available however we don't maintain a list of these.

Environment Agency documents

These documents are provided by the Environment Agency:

Guidance on Norfolk County Councils Lead Local Flood Authority Role as Statutory Consultee to Planning


Our Guidance on Norfolk County Councils Lead Local Flood Authority Role as Statutory Consultee to Planning document is currently undergoing updates.


We will be publishing the updated document in Spring 2021.


In the meantime, if you would like to request a copy of the current document, please email and we will get back to you promptly.

Was this webpage helpful?