DIY waste is classed as construction and demolition waste, not household waste, so we only accept it in limited amounts.
All our recycling centres will accept a small amount of DIY waste for free.
This is restricted to one large item or one 80-litre bag per household per week. (For example one door, a bath tub, a toilet or one fence panel. Or one 80-litre sack of tiles, bricks, or soil/turf). To dispose of additional DIY waste over this limit, there is a chargeable Pay As You Throw service at our Main Plus sites – see further information below.
Speak to a member of staff on arrival and they’ll guide you.
Plasterboard: We only accept plasterboard at Caister, Dereham, Hempton, Ketteringham, King’s Lynn, Mayton Wood, Mile Cross or Thetford recycling centres, and only if you separate it from the rest of your waste.
Pay as you throw service
Speak to a member of staff on arrival and they’ll take payment before you unload your waste. You can pay by cash, or by credit or debit card. Please note card payment only at Mile Cross Recycling Centre in Norwich.
You will pay less if you separate your waste - separated materials are charged at a lower rate than mixed loads.
You must separate plasterboard or we won’t accept it.
Any decision made by our staff about DIY waste will be final.
Pay as you throw guide prices
We calculate prices based on the material and amount of waste you bring. Your load will be assessed by site staff and rates are non-negotiable. The guide prices below include VAT.
Mile Cross Recycling Centre is operated under a different contract and space restrictions there mean that plasterboard has to be transported in smaller loads, which makes it more expensive. Flat glass is included in non-recyclable waste as there is no space for a separate container.
DIY waste guide prices
- Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £7.20
- Flat glass - £5.20 (Not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
- Rubble - £4.70
- Plasterboard - £7.60 (£12.60 at Mile Cross)
- Timber - £6.40
- Scrap metal - £6
- Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £37.20
- Flat glass - £18 (Not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
- Rubble - £22.80
- Plasterboard - £52.80 (£98 at Mile Cross)
- Timber - £36
- Scrap metal - £19.20
- Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £79.20
- Flat glass - £36 (Not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
- Rubble - £45.60
- Plasterboard - £114 (£221 at Mile Cross)
- Timber - £73.20
- Scrap metal - £36
- Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £136.80
- Flat glass - £56.40 (Not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre)
- Rubble - £74.40
- Plasterboard - £201.60 (£398 at Mile Cross)
- Timber - £126
- Scrap metal - £58.80
- Unsorted/non-recyclable DIY waste - £182.40
- Flat glass - £74.40 (Not recyclable at Mile Cross recycling centre
- Rubble - £97.20
- Plasterboard - £270 (£539 at Mile Cross)
- Timber - £168
- Scrap metal - £76.60