In April 2014 routine paint disposal was removed from the recycling centre service. It was removed due to the considerable cost in disposing of this material so now paint is only disposed of at recycling centres at our yearly household hazardous waste days. By only accepting liquid paint at our annual household hazardous waste days, we can make significant savings.
You can get rid of unused paint in other ways:
- ‘Use it up’ by offering unused paint to friends, family or online eg Freegle or Freecycle
- ‘Dry it out’ by adding something absorbent, like cat litter, soil or saw dust. Once the paint is dried, you can put the paint cans in your general waste bin at home
- The local district, borough or city councils should offer a hazardous waste collection but might charge for it
- Specialist hazardous waste contractors found in the phone book or online
- Wait for the household hazardous waste days