Parish Partnerships Scheme

Each year local councils are invited to submit bids for highway improvement schemes.  For 2017/18 the fund is £300,000 with Norfolk County Council funding 50% of the cost of successful bids.  With a very welcome additional £86,000 contribution from Safety Camera Partnership (Norfolk and Suffolk Constabularies) towards road speed activated signs.  Town and parish councils contribute the balance.

In July 2016 the scope of the scheme was extended to include unparished wards in Kings Lynn, Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Unparished wards can either become a formal parish council (with its own funding resources), or submit bids via their elected County Council Member. Bids from unparished wards may be driven by a local pressure/campaign group who would need to appoint a named representative. They would also need to consult with and submit any bid via their local NCC member. There is an upper limit on NCC funding support of £25,000.

Deadline for submissions

Deadline for submissions is 18/19 is 11 December 2017

The highway engineers based at your local area office can help you develop ideas and advise about their practicality and cost.

You can download a bid application template form which will help you set out your submission and outlines the requirements in the invitation to bid:

  • Details of the scheme - with a sketch or plan – its cost and your contribution
  • Who, and how many people will benefit
  • Whether it supports Local Transport Plan objectives. (Schemes that support the objectives of the Local Transport Plan will be given a higher priority for funding)
  • Whether there broad community support particularly from your local councillor, adjoining property owners and landowners
  • Your proposals for future maintenance of off highway schemes

You can send us your bid by email or letter.

When we assess your bid we'll consider the points above, but we'll also look at:

  • The potential for casualty reduction
  • Any ongoing maintenance costs for the County Council

Bids for minor traffic management changes such as speed limits or waiting restrictions will not qualify.

Further information or advice

We've provided answers to the most frequently asked questions about the schemes we support below.

If you need further information on the bid process you can email the Programme Engineer at or call 01603 228905.

For advice on the scheme practicalities or likely costs, contact your local highway engineer.

Information about the schemes and projects covered

These must be purchased from our specialist sub-contractor Amey, who can give you an initial quote. Email enquiries to and copy in Norfolk Street Lighting at, or call 01508 557868.

For a single sign, typical costs range from £6,000 (if an existing power supply is readily available) to £6,500 (if a solar powered supply is needed). The costs includes a sum for future maintenance.

The parish contribution would be around £3,000 to £3,250.

We'd then need to agree a suitable and safe location with you.

A mobile Speed Awareness Message (SAM2) flashes up vehicle speeds and a warning to 'slow down' if they are exceeding the limit. This helps to raise speed awareness among drivers.

The unit cost is between £4,000 and £5,000 and our suggested supplier is Westcotec.

The parish council would own the unit and assume responsibility for future maintenance but you can agree to share the sign between neighbouring parishes to minimise the cost.

Suitable locations would have to be agreed with your local highway engineer, then both the engineer and the parish sign a Memorandum of Understanding to cover the use of the sign and the exact locations.

Download the Memorandum of Understanding.

The supplier of the sign(s) will provide instructions on how to set up and re-position the units.

More information:

Suppliers of SAM2 units

We recommend bidders use Wescotec as they are an approved sub-contractor to our streetlighting contractor, Amey, and therefore part of our market-tested supply chain.  They also have a good track record in terms of supplying reliable value for money units and post-sales customer care.

We do not oblige Bidders to use Wescotec.  However, if you do wish to consider an alternative, cheaper supplier we (as joint funder) need to be satisfied first that the unit is being supplied on exactly the same basis, in which case the following criteria must be satisfied:

  1. Evidence of conformity with relevant, required standards; EN BS 12966 for the unit, and TRSGD for the sign face (which will require an associated “Declaration of conformity”).
  2. Total weight of unit as mounted with batteries, and confirmation that the proposed support pole is capable of withstanding relevant dead and wind loading. For illuminated sign poles, permission will be required from Norfolk County Councils streetlighting contractor, Amey. For non-illuminated posts permission will be required from our Highway Area office.
  3. Delivery and installation of units included.
  4. Relevant training for the Parish Council included, to ensure they are able to move and mount units safely as per the agreed “Memorandum of understanding”. This will require evidencing. appropriate insurance to work on the public highway and sufficient third party liability insurance.

Whilst some suppliers may offer cheaper units, they may not be offering an equivalent package and service.

We will accept bids for part-time advisory 20mph signs with flashing warning lights outside schools.

These must be purchased from our specialist sub-contractor Amey, who can give you an initial quote. Email enquiries to and copy in Norfolk Street Lighting at, or call 01508 557868.

We trialled these in 2008/9 and generally had a favourable community response, with some moderate reductions in average speeds during peak times.

The Council supports the aspiration for part-time 20mph speed limits outside each school in Norfolk but it would cost the Council in the region of £3.75 million to wholly fund it.

These signs cannot be enforced by the police.

'School Keep Clear' markings, within the scope of Parish Partnerships, could be included where these are supported by the relevant school.

This will complement the recent addition of flashing, advisory 20mph signs at schools.

These markings will automatically be enforceable under new legislation. Depending on their location, however, it may not always be practicable for Civil Parking Enforcement officers to enforce them, and this may happen only where it is operationally convenient to do so (for example when CPE officers are in the area engaged on other enforcement work).

A trod path is a way of providing a low-cost footpath by using unbound material instead of asphalt while still remaining fit for purpose.

It can provide an aesthetically acceptable solution in sensitive rural settings and is intended to provide a less expensive option over a muddy track or grass verge, typically providing a level surface, greater width and improved drainage.

Your highway engineer will be able to advise you on the practicalities and likely cost of any scheme.

Concessionary path agreement

If a footway can't be wholly accommodated on highway land, and if the landowner is in agreement, a concessionary path agreement can be signed.  This will enable the Parish to obtain consent from the landowner for the construction of a trod on private land.

Read our guidance for a new bus shelter. You will also need to download and complete a street furniture application-consent form.

Village gateway installations will be purchased through Norfolk County Council. This decision was taken in 2015, following trials carried out by the Council and changes in safety regulations, and is to ensure that all gateways meet required safety standards.

Your local highway engineer will be able to supply you with costs and agree the locations of the gateways.

Examples of village gateways

Other possible schemes that the parish may want to consider are

  • Improved crossing facilities (including traffic islands)
  • Posts/fencing/safety railing
  • Improvements to public rights of way.
  • Hard standing at bus stops
  • Off highway schemes providing they are linked to the highway, where the maintenance will fall to the parish or town council.
  • Improved road surfaces for community facilities eg village halls
  • Bike racks
  • Bus shelters/benches

Schemes should be self-contained (ie not require any other schemes or works to make them effective).

Locations will have to be agreed with the local highway engineer and the parish would be required to complete a street furniture application-consent form if applicable.

The parish would be responsible for the maintenance of the new item of street furniture.