Toggle mobile menu visibility

Alternative travel options

If you're not entitled to the transport assistance that we provide, here are some other options and places you may be able to get help.

Are you sure you cannot receive transport assistance?

For example, if you receive certain qualifying benefits free transport assistance may be available.

Sometimes we can offer discretionary transport where spare seats are offered on contracted school services, in return for a parental contribution.

When making your application, it is important that you use the comments section to tell us if you have selected an alternative boarding point. If, for example, it is a friend's or grandparent's address - your home address must still be used when completing the application.

Entitlement criteria and details about how to apply are available on main Home to School Transport page.


Your child's school

Talk to the school to see if they can help.

All schools have access to 'disadvantaged subsidy money', which they may allocate to low income families to help with travel costs.

Most schools in Norfolk have a travel plan which will include details of recommended walking routes.

Other examples of how they might be able to help include:

  • Running their own bus to collect pupils who don't qualify for assistance, or contracting one through a local operator
  • Pre-school or after-school clubs, giving parents more flexibility with drop-off and pick-up times
  • Organising a 'Walking bus' that uses parents as volunteers to pick up children and walk them to school and take them home
  • Setting up a lift scheme for parents and staff to car-share
  • Helping parents to arrange a mini-bus with a local operator
  • Putting you in touch with other parents who might be able to help
  • Walking to school is an option encouraged by public health research.  If you are new to the area, school staff may be able to suggest a walking route preferred by other families


Public transport

You can get season tickets and child discounts from most bus and train operators. Timetables are available through Traveline.

Use a Fusion ticket for multiple operator bus journeys within the greater Norwich area.

In rural areas, we fund Flexibus and other pre book schemes services to supplement scheduled buses.

Taxi operators may also offer discounts for regular journeys.


Car share, moped or bicycle

Norfolk Car Club offers new cars to use on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Students over the age of 16 could pay for a moped loan from Kickstart. Training and equipment are included.

Cycle training is available from our Road Safety Team  and bikes can be bought at reduced prices from many sources including schemes such as Keystone Green Bikes based in Thetford.



If you use a childminder they may be able take your child to school, or pick them up. If they're close to school they may walk your child there.

You may be entitled to assistance with childcare costs.

Perhaps your child could stay with a friend who either lives near the school or on a suitable bus route?


Other options

We issue concessionary travel passes to young people who are entitled because of their disability.  If entitled, this would provide free travel for the return journey. The concessionary pass would be valid for journeys made between 9.30 and 11pm. 

Find another responsible adult.   For those with work commitments or otherwise unable to cover the school run, another family member, friend or neighbour may be able to help.  If you do not have contact details for the parents of your child's friends, the school may be willing to act as an intermediary, particularly in an emergency, although they cannot release personal details without the other party's permission.

The Norfolk Community Directory includes links to further support and guidance.

Norwich Charitable Trusts is an organisation which aims to change lives for the better in Norwich.

The Citizens Advice Bureau has information on charities that offer financial assistance for school transport.

For carers, travel and transport allowances are explained on the NHS website.


Email us on if you have any other suggestions which we could include here.