Toggle mobile menu visibility

Disabled travel pass

Disabled bus passes are available to people who have a qualifying permanent disability. They are also available for people with a qualifying disability lasting at least 12 months.

A disabled concessionary travel pass entitles you to free bus travel in Norfolk:

  • On all local bus services
  • At any time of day

If you are using your pass for bus services not in Norfolk, you can travel for free on:

  • All off peak services (from 9.30am until the last bus of the day) Monday to Friday
  • At all times during weekends and Bank Holidays

If you are using your pass outside England, please check for local travel variations. Usually, you cannot use your English travel pass for free travel in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Sometimes we can add a companion enhancement so somebody can travel with you for free. Visit the disabled travel enhancements page for further details.

If you already have a four-year pass

Automatic renewal

  • In most circumstances, we will automatically renew a four-year pass.
  • We will let you know by email or letter if your four-year pass won't be renewed automatically.

Address changes

  • If you change address you must let us know as soon as possible, this must be at least four weeks before your current pass expires. You need to send us a copy of your proof of new address
  • You will be charged a £13 admin fee if you don't tell us in time about your new address.

Apply for a new disabled pass

Who can apply

You are entitled to a disabled concessionary travel pass from Norfolk County Council if you are a Norfolk resident of bus fare paying age (five years old+) and have a permanent disability or one lasting at least 12 months.

Your eligibility for a disability-related travel pass is considered 'automatic' if you have been issued with a 'Blue Badge' or are in receipt of the following benefits:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of eight points or more for the "Moving around" or "Communicating" activities

You are also eligible if your disability falls into one of the following seven categories:

  • People who are blind or partially sighted you are eligible for a disabled pass with an enhancement allowing you to travel at all times 
  • People who are profoundly or severely deaf in both ears
  • People who cannot speak
  • People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a long-term effect on their ability to walk
  • People who are without use of both arms
  • People who have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind that includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning. These disabilities must have started before adulthood and have a lasting effect on development. Note that conditions such as Autism, Asperger's and learning difficulties (e.g dyslexia, ADHD etc) are not covered by this definition.
  • People who if they applied for a driving licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have this application refused under section 92 of the Act for a reason other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

For further details, see the Department for Transport's guidance to Local Authorities on assessing eligibility (pdf 75.6k).


How to apply

You will need to supply a photograph for a new application.

You can take a photo at the time of applying with a webcam or you can upload one from your computer. Instructions and examples of suitable photos are included on the form.

You will also need to have proof of ID, Address and supporting evidence for your disability;

  • Your Proof of Address and Proof of Eligibility may be the same document and no more than 12 months old
  • Your Proof of ID must clearly show your Date of Birth
  • Do not upload information which may be considered confidential such as Bank Statements without masking account details and values. We accept screenshots of e-billing emails
  • Photo files should be in a jpeg format and no larger than 4mb each. Scanned document files should be in a PDF format and be no larger than 4mb each

Apply now

If you cannot apply online, and friends or family can't help you to apply, you can use a paper application form instead. You can pick up a paper form from any Norfolk library.

Online applications deferred

Sometimes an online application can be deferred.  This means that the system was unable to verify you.  You should receive an email to let you know that this has happened.

This does not necessarily mean that you are not eligible.

An application could be deferred because:

  • The personal details or pass details you submitted don't match the ones in our database
  • You applied for your new pass or renewal too early
  • Your existing pass may have already expired
  • The card was issued by another local authority, outside of Norfolk

To continue with your application

If you applied too early try again later.

If this is your first concessionary pass, email us with the following information:

  • Copies of your proof of identity (a passport, driving licence, birth certificate in the same name as your application)
  • Proof of your address in your own name, not older than three months (a utility bill, bank statement, or any other official letter)
  • Your name, address and online application number


When will your pass arrive

We aim to process your application within 10 working days of receiving your form.

Once processed, passes are usually sent to your home address within five to 10 working days.

If you have applied prior to your date of eligibility then your new pass will be delivered up to ten working days before your eligibility date.

If you have requested a renewal of your travel pass then a new card will be with you up to two days before your current card expires.


Renewing your pass

If you were issued a pass that is valid for four years within Norfolk then you should automatically receive a new concessionary bus pass before your current pass expires. If you were issued a concessionary pass valid for less than four years then you can complete a disabled persons application for a concessionary travel pass (PDF) [611KB].

If your details or circumstances change, let us know at least four weeks before your current pass is due to expire.

If we send a concessionary travel pass to a previous address that we have for you, then you will also need to pay £13 to update your details and reissue a pass to the correct address, if you still require one.

Cheques should be made payable to Norfolk County Council.


Where you can use your pass

The concessionary pass is valid for free travel on all local bus services throughout England. This includes London buses and rural services, such as Coasthopper.

Pass holders are also entitled to a discounted rate of £1.80 return on park and ride services in Norfolk after 9.30am and £1.50 after 12 midday.

The pass is not valid on trains or national coach services, such as National Express.

The pass is not valid in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.


Travelling with a companion

If you need assistance to access and travel on public transport, you may be entitled to the companion enhancement to your pass.

To be eligible for a companion pass you must be unable to walk to a bus stop, or get on or off a bus without assistance.

Companion passes are only valid for journeys in Norfolk, if your journey takes you to another county your companion may have to pay to return to Norfolk.

This will allow you one companion who can also travel for free with you for any journeys that start in Norfolk.

The companion will need to pay for their travel on any journeys that start outside Norfolk. Visit the disabled travel enhancements page for further details.


Lost, stolen or damaged passes

Replacement passes are only printed for passes which were issued within the Norfolk district.

Get a replacement pass

If you are now living in Norfolk after previously receiving a pass from another county you need to apply for a new pass.  If you need a replacement pass for a county other than Norfolk, contact your local council.

If your card was due to expire within the next two months then we may be able to send a replacement pass free of charge.

Otherwise replacement passes for lost, stolen or damaged cards will cost £13, which is payable in advance.  Note that this fee is not refundable should a lost pass be found at a later date.  We do not require a new photo.  Cheques and postal orders must be made out to Norfolk County Council.


Pass not scanning

Passes can be rejected by a ticket machine for the following reasons.

Invalid:  A red light flashes and the machine states "Invalid" or "No Valid Ticket" - this could be because the pass is being used outside of valid off-peak times or the pass has expired.  The expiry date is printed on the card.  Expired passes will not be accepted for free travel and customers need to renew their bus pass.

Hotlisted:  A red light flashes and the machine states "Hotlisted" or "Blocked".  This is a card that has been cancelled by Norfolk County Council.  It may have been reported lost or stolen.  Hotlisted cards are not valid for travel and drivers are instructed to take the card out of circulation.  Customers who believe they are entitled can apply for a replacement card.

Damaged:  No light flashes and the machine does not recognise the card at all.  This means that the electronic chip in the card has been damaged.  Damaged cards need to be replaced.  If the card is visually acceptable, ie the card is in date and the photo matches the customer, drivers are currently allowed to manually record the pass and allow travel.  Drivers will advise you to order a replacement card as you could be refused travel in the future.  There is a £13 administration fee for replacement cards.  If you need to order a replacement card as it is not recognised on the bus, but you believe that your card is undamaged, you can return the pass to us with a covering letter to:

Concessionary Travel
Norfolk County Council
Martineau Lane

Your card will be tested and if the card is found to be faulty but undamaged then the £13 charge will be refunded.


Changing personal details

If your details change, tell us as soon as possible so we can send you any updates and information about your pass.

If you don't let us know at least four weeks before your current pass is due to expire and we send a pass to a previous address that we have for you, then you'll also need to pay £13 to update your details and reissue a pass to the correct address if you still require a pass.

If your pass is due to expire within six months and you need to update your photograph on your account this can be done free of charge by either emailing or posting in a new one. If your pass is valid for more than six months and you want to change your photograph there will be a £13 admin fee.

You don't need a new photo every time your pass expires. We'll send you a new pass automatically. But, if your appearance changes a lot, you should provide a new photo six months before your pass expires. If you don't, you might be refused to travel.

If you're paying by cheque, make it payable to Norfolk County Council.

If your name has changed then your present concessionary travel card remains valid and you can continue to use your card until the expiry date. To update your account you will need to send in proof of your new name, then when your current pass expires your new one will have your updated details on them.

If you would like a new card before your current pass expires, there is a £13 admin fee, you will need to send proof of your new name so that we can update your account details and issue the pass.

You can email this information to or post the proof to:

Concessionary Travel
Norfolk County Council
Martineau Lane

Accepted proof would be a recent copy (in your new name) of:

  • A bank statement
  • Council tax bill
  • Driving licence
  • Doctor's letter
  • Statement from the HMRC
  • Medical or optical prescription
  • NHS medical card
  • Pension book
  • Utilities bill (not credit card or mobile phone bill)

If you are moving to an address outside of Norfolk you must return your pass to us, advising us that you have moved away from the area. You will then need to apply to the relevant authority covering your new address to issue you with a new pass.


What to do if a pass holder dies

Disabled bus passes are covered by our 'Tell us once' service, so if you have used this service, you will not need to do anything further.

If you have not used 'Tell us once', return the pass to us at the below address with a covering note to explain so we can amend our records:

Concessionary Travel
Travel and Transport Services
Norfolk County Council
County Hall


Easy Read information

We aim to provide information in ways that are accessible to everybody. We do not currently have an Easy Read version of disabled concessionary bus pass guidance and we know that this may cause problems for some people.

We are working to create Easy Read guidance, which we will add to this page when it's available.

If you need help with understanding this information, please call 0344 800 8020.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon