Toggle mobile menu visibility

Scaffold and hoarding licences

You need a licence to place a scaffold/hoardings on a public highway (verge, path or road). You need to complete an application every time a scaffold/hoarding is put up. This is a statutory requirement as specified in Section 169 of the Highways Act 1980. Please allow 7 calendar days for applications to be processed.

We will ask companies that place scaffolding or hoarding on the highway without a licence to remove the structure or apply for a licence immediately. We may also notify the police.

Minimum public liability insurance cover required for this application is £5m.


You will need to pay a fee to place scaffold/hoardings on a public highway. Visit Highways services fees and charges to find out more.

Before you begin your application

Complete a site specific plan. You will be asked to upload it while completing the application. We can only accept files up to 5MB.

You may also be required to upload the following:

  • A Pedestrian Management Plan that details how you will manage pedestrians through the site, if a minimum width of 1.2m of unobstructed footway will not be maintained for pedestrians. (In some scenarios a width of 1m may be acceptable; however, this will require further consultation with the Street Works Inspector)
  • A Traffic Management Plan that details the signing and guarding arrangements to protect the scaffold, if any part of the structure be within 500mm of the edge of carriageway

Renew or apply for a scaffold licence

If you need to complete TTRO application go to our Highways licences and permits page.

For information on safety at street and road works go to the GOV.UK website.