The Benefactors Room is located within Norwich Castle which was built by the Normans over 900 year ago
Norwich Castle is a working museum. Although the building is open to the public the Benefactors Room is not, so your ceremony will be completely private.
Castle Renovation Project and return to Benefactors Room
You may be aware that Norwich Castle has been undergoing a large national lottery heritage funded renovation project. Since 2019, whilst this work has been taking place, the Benefactors Room has been unavailable for ceremonies and all ceremonies in the Castle have been held in the Colman Gallery.
We are delighted to confirm that the Benefactors Room will be available for ceremonies again from 2nd October 2023. Please note that outdoor ceremonies are not available at the Castle.
If you have a ceremony confirmed for the Castle or are thinking about booking, do take the time to read the information on this page.
- This is the latest information we have on the Castle – once more information is available the page will be updated.
- If your ceremony is taking place before 2nd October 2023 in the Castle, it will be held in the Colman Gallery.
- From 2nd October 2023 all ceremonies in the Castle will be held in the Benefactors Room. The Colman Gallery will no longer be available for ceremonies.
- The renovation project at the Castle will be ongoing after we return to the Benefactors Room and there will be building works taking place in parts of the Castle into 2024.
- The entrances and waiting area for both guests and the couple at Benefactors Room ceremonies will change what they were previously.
- If you do not want to be seen by your partner or your guests before their ceremony, there will continue to be a private space for you. It will be located upstairs from the Benefactors Room and is accessible by stairs or lift.
- We will have bookable sessions in summer 2023 at the Castle for couples with confirmed ceremonies in the Castle to view the Benefactors Room before their ceremony date. More information will be posted on this page once these dates are confirmed.
Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery, Castle Hill, Norwich, NR1 3JU
Ceremonies take place on the hour from 10am to 4pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 12pm to 4pm on Wednesdays, and 2pm and 3pm on Sundays
The capacity is for 50 people which includes the two witnesses and a photographer if you are having one, but does not include the couple and the two registrars.
Use the online booking system to book your ceremony in the Castle
Arriving for your ceremony
The couple and their best man and bridesmaids should arrive 15 minutes before the ceremony begins. Your guests should also arrive 15 minutes before the ceremony and wait in the dedicated waiting room.
If your ceremony car is no larger than a people carrier you can drive over the bridge and park by the Castle entrance. However, due to space and weight restrictions, if your ceremony car exceeds this size you will have to be dropped off at the bottom of the bridge.
More information about the new entrances and waiting areas will be added to this page when available.
You must bring your own music to the ceremony with you on CD or your phone. Wi-Fi is not available.
You're welcome to use the Castle gardens for photographs. There are some interesting locations in the grounds, including an open air theatre space.
You can throw confetti anywhere in the castle grounds as long as it is bio-degradable.
The Benefactors Room is on the ground floor in the Castle. There is an outside lift from the gardens up to the front door of the Castle.
There is parking at the Castle for the ceremony car and there are numerous public car parks in the vicinity for guests, particularly the Castle Mall car park which is on site.
Animals are not allowed into the Castle, with the exception of service dogs.