Cookie Consent by Give notice of a marriage or a civil partnership - Norfolk County Council

Give notice of a marriage or a civil partnership

Information about giving notice

Once you’ve booked your venue and the registrars, you need to make an appointment to ‘give notice’. Giving Notice is a legal requirement where you will confirm your identity and freedom to marry/enter a civil partnership.

Your circumstances will affect the documents you need to bring, where you go to give notice and the fees you pay.

You’ll need to bring documents with you to your notice appointment. You must bring the right ones or you won’t be able to give notice.

There are different rules if you or your partner are a foreign national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Use our easy online checklist

Use our online checklist to work out which documents you need to bring, where you need to go and what your fees will be. You’ll be able to download and keep the information.

Use the online checklist

Important information

When do I give notice and how do I book an appointment?

A lot of couples with ceremonies booked have not been able to give notice yet due to the lockdown, so we have a lot of notices to take, some of them urgently. As we work through the backlog of notices, we will be contacting couples to give notice at least a month before their ceremony.

We are working through outstanding notices in order of ceremony date. If your ceremony isn’t until 2021 please do not contact us to book an appointment. We will contact you when we are ready to arrange your notice appointment. For ceremonies from spring 2021 onwards, we are hoping to conduct your notice appointment four months before your ceremony date.

This may seem at odds with the advice we gave you previously which was to give notice early – so we do appreciate this may feel a little last minute, for which we apologise.

If your legal ceremony is taking place outside of the UK, outside the county of Norfolk or in a church and you need to give notice of intention to marry/civil partnership or certificate of no impediment please email with your phone number and when/where your ceremony will be held.

If either of you is a non EEA national (not British, Swiss or a EEA national) then in some circumstances the notice period may be extended to 70 clear days.

Use our online checklist to check whether you are subject to immigration control or not.

Our ceremony date has changed, do we need to give notice again?

If your ceremony has been rescheduled or postponed and your notice has now expired (Notice is valid for 12 months from the date given), then you will need to give notice again and the fee of £35 per person will be charged.

Where can I give notice?

The government rules on social distancing and meetings means we are not able to offer appointments from all our offices. You can give notice at our Norwich, King’s Lynn or Great Yarmouth registration offices.

If you don’t usually live in Norfolk, you must reside here for 7 clear days before the date of notice. The date you arrive, and the date of your appointment do not count as part of the clear 7 days.

If you live in England or Wales but outside Norfolk, you'll need to contact your local registration office as the appointment must take place in the registration district that you live in.

How much will giving notice cost?

In most circumstances the fee for notice will be £35 per person. If you are subject to immigration control the fee may be £47. Use our online checklist to check whether you are subject to immigration control or not.

There is a non-refundable fee at notice of £50 or £75 for checking foreign divorce documentation.  A foreign divorce is one which took place outside of the United Kingdom.  Contact us if you need any advice.

Marriages or civil partnerships abroad

If you’re getting married or entering into a civil partnership in Scotland or Northern Ireland contact us for help.

If you’re getting married or entering into a civil partnership outside the UK, visit the website for help.

If you need a ‘certificate of no impediment’ (CNI) and you live in Norfolk, we’ll be able to help. Contact us for more information.

Terms and conditions

If you change the venue of the ceremony after giving notice, you will need to give notice and pay the fee again. It is your responsibility to ensure that you bring all the correct documentation required to give notice.

If you can’t make your appointment please contact us to re-schedule. Please do this as soon as you can in order to free up the appointment for someone else.

Was this webpage helpful?