If you are aged 40 – 74 and live in Norfolk you could be eligible for a free NHS Health Check.
As we get older our risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, stroke and certain types of dementia increases - the good news is they can often be prevented. Free NHS Health Checks are available to Norfolk residents aged 40 – 74 who have not already been diagnosed with one of the above conditions.
NHS Health Checks are available in most GP surgeries (their patients only) and at over 60 pharmacies across the county (any Norfolk resident). You can have a free check once every five years.
The check will take about 20-30 minutes, during which:
It can then provide you with free:
- You’ll be asked some simple questions about your family history, and any medication you're taking
- Your height, weight, gender, ethnicity and age will be recorded
- Your blood pressure will be taken
- A simple blood test will check your cholesterol level
- Tailored advice and information on any individual part of the assessment and your overall risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Referral to services to help you to manage your weight and any other lifestyle issues (if required)
- Referral to your GP for management of cardiovascular risk (as appropriate)
Having your free NHS Health Check will help you to be better prepared for the future. By identifying risks early and taking steps to reduce them, you can improve your chance of maintaining or improving your health as you get older.
Where can I get my NHS Health Check?
NHS Health Checks are available at most GP surgeries, over 60 pharmacies and in some workplaces.
If you are eligible you can ask to book an appointment at your own GP practice or book an appointment directly at a participating pharmacy.