Cookie Consent by Help with transport - Norfolk County Council

Help with transport

Most people prefer to live independently for as long as possible and we want to help you keep your independence. 

Transport is an important part of keeping independent and staying in your own home. However you may find that, if your situation changes or as you get older, you have to think differently about how to get around so that you can continue to do the things that are important to you.

There are lots of possibilities that could make access easier, save you money, or even open up a new route altogether. 

We expect people who are assessed as eligible for support services from Adult Social Services to meet their own needs for transport to access services or support. 

Adult Social Services will only fund transport in exceptional circumstances where there is no suitable or appropriate alternative.  For further information see Adult Social Services Transport policy.

Using public transport

There are several options you can use, depending on where you live:

Go to our public transport accessibility page to find out how we are working to make your journey as accessible and easy as possible.

Traveline has a journey planning option if you need to plan for step-free transport or staff assistance.  

Concessionary bus passes

A concessionary bus pass entitles you to free travel in off-peak periods. There are two types of bus pass you can apply for, either age-related or disability-based.

Blind and partially-sighted people can travel at any time of the day and some companions can travel free of charge. Visit the disabled travel enhancements page for further details.

Concessions on national public transport

National Express and National Rail offer discount cards (for young people, seniors and those who meet their disability criteria) which saves a third off regular fares. For more information and to check for money-saving offers, visit the following pages:

TITAN (Travel Independence Training Across the Nation)

The TITAN Programme helps people become more confident in their pedestrian and road safety skills, as this can be a barrier to using public transport.

It now offers a service to adults as well as young people aged 16 to 25. For more details and a link to the referral form, go to the TITAN page

Blue badges

If you’re registered blind, or have severe mobility issues, a blue badge could give you easier access to public facilities. You do not have to be a driver or own a vehicle yourself. To find out more information about eligibility and how to apply visit our Blue badges page.

Car tax exemption and reduction

If you receive certain benefits and allowances, you may be entitled to apply for an exemption or reduction in paying vehicle tax. The GOV.UK website has more details.

Driving and your health

If you want more information about driving with a medical condition or disability, visit the GOV.UK website.

Guidance for Older Driver programme (GOLD)

We’re committed to supporting older drivers through our GOLD programme. It offers a driver development session designed to refresh skills and increase confidence for anyone who has concerns about aspects of their driving, health or mobility.

The course can also be used to support a licence application. For more details visit our GOLD page.

Mobility information service from Disabled Motoring UK

Disabled Motoring UK are based in Norfolk and offer a mobility information service to the general public. They provide basic information and signposts to relevant organisations. For more information visit Disabled Motoring UK.

Shop mobility

If you’re visiting a shopping mall or a supermarket, there may be a shop mobility scheme or electric wheelchair or cart available for you to hire or loan.

For more details, visit the Norfolk Community Directory, or ask at your local supermarket.


This is a door-to-door minibus transport service. It helps those with reduced mobility and can be used for medical and social trips.

Concessionary bus pass holders may be entitled to a reduced fare. Check with the individual scheme where they cover and how they are run, as this may vary by area:

Taxis with disabled access

District councils have registers of all local licensed taxis. They have information about the options available if you’re looking to book a taxi with disabled access:

Allowances to help towards travel costs

There are some national allowances which can help contribute towards travel costs. If you’re eligible you can use the allowance directly towards the cost of your preferred transport option, or you may be able to make use of the Motability scheme.

This enables disabled people to get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair.

To be eligible to join the scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and you must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining: 

You cannot use Attendance Allowance to lease a car through the scheme.

If you need support to fund driving lessons the Motability scheme may be able to help if you meet their criteria. For more information visit Motability - Charitable grants.

Travel costs for NHS appointments

If you’re referred to hospital or other NHS premises for NHS treatment or tests by your doctor, dentist or other health professional, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS).

Visit NHS travel costs to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Other transport options

Moped/scooter hire

If you’re looking for something which gives you the same flexibility as a car but costs less to maintain and fuel, you may want to consider hiring a moped or scooter. There are two schemes:

  • Kickstart Mopeds - focused on helping people access employment
  • Scoots Hire - open to all and short hire (one week) periods are possible

Cycling and walking

Push Ahead offers information on cycling and walking events in the Norwich and Great Yarmouth areas, as well as a journey planner to help you get around both areas.

If you want to enjoy some recreational cycling, Pedal Revolution have details of the Park Pedal events held at Whitlingham Country Park, near Norwich.

Was this webpage helpful?