Cookie Consent by Home repairs and maintenance - Norfolk County Council

Home repairs and maintenance

If you need general repairs or small jobs carried out around your home and you are over 60, or disabled, or if you receive an income-related benefit, you may apply to have work done via the Handyperson Service.

This is open to owner-occupiers and to tenants of private landlords, registered social landlords or housing associations. (It does not cover works which are the legal responsibilities of landlords).

The service is not for emergencies, specialist work or larger jobs that would take more than two hours but we may be able to help through our other services.

What works are covered?

Examples include:

  • Home safety - smoke detectors, key safes, grab rails, removing trip hazards
  • Home security - security locks, chains, spyholes
  • Minor electrical work - wiring plugs, replacing fuses
  • Minor plumbing works - replacing tap washers, fitting lever taps
  • Home energy efficiency – draught proofing, fitting low-energy lightbulbs
  • General repairs and other minor jobs – installing telephone extension cables, shifting furniture, small carpentry jobs, easing sticking doors, fixing curtain rails, changing curtains, lowering shelves, clearing gutters (bungalows only), minor repairs to gates and fences

Requesting repairs

Contact your local Home Improvement Agency:

Was this webpage helpful?