What are Core Consultations and how can they help?
Face-to-face core consultations with our SEND specialists will be offered free of charge. At these meetings Norfolk schools will be able to discuss issues relating to SEND in their schools and children about whom they are concerned.
Schools were invited to register an interest in having core consultations in the summer term of 2019.
Three strands are being piloted:
- Core Consultations to mainstream schools
- Core Consultations Plus (multi-disciplinary)
- Core Consultations Special (special schools)
Core consultations with mainstream schools took place throughout the academic year 2019/2020.
Educational psychology and specialist support, along with other colleagues in the Education High Needs SEND service were commissioned by the local authority to undertake prevention and early intervention measures.
Specialist learning support teachers, SEMH practitioners and ASD team members facilitate core consultations. Advice is offered on ways of identifying and addressing children’s needs, together with suggestions on evidenced-based approaches to supporting children and young people with SEND. Educational psychologists are available to EPSS facilitators on a consultancy basis.
By the end of the summer term 2020, the county council had provided face-to-face Core Consultations with SEND specialists in over 200 Norfolk schools free of charge. At these meetings schools have been able to discuss issues relating to SEND in their schools and children about whom they are concerned.
Core Consultations provide information and support in the following ways:
- face to face discussion of issues around individual children and related whole school SEND issues and inclusive practice
- recommendations on interventions and strategies to support individual children and young people's needs
- support and professional challenge to ensure a graduated and collaborative approach in meeting children's needs and removing barriers to inclusion
- signposting to other services as part of Norfolk's local offer of support
- collaborative access to S2S and DOS
Schools who had Core Consultations have evaluated the meetings and given very positive feedback.
It is hoped that core consultations will continue throughout academic year 2020/2021.
For further information contact email@example.com