Toggle mobile menu visibility

Petroleum storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic. There are laws that you need to follow if you are storing it.

Petroleum certification is required for premises that dispense petrol on both retail and non-retail sites.

A Petroleum Enforcement Authority is responsible for:

  • Issuing either a petroleum storage certificate for dispensing premises, or
  • A licence to store petrol at other types of premises, for example, private homes

What counts as dispensing petrol?

Dispensing petrol means the manual or electrical pumping of petrol from a fixed storage tank into the fuel tank of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine. For example, retail and non-retail petrol filling stations.

At premises where petrol may be dispensed into containers, this not of the scale intended to be covered by regulations.

Further information can be found on the health and safety executive website.

Petrol storage at home, at a club or association

  • You can only transport petrol in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked 'petroleum' and 'highly flammable'. Make sure they are secured in the back of your vehicle when being transported
  • Filling your tank from a container should only be carried out in the open air
  • Store any containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Do not keep it in the house. Make sure the area is well ventilated and away from naked flames or live electrical equipment
  • Check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion

Not dispensing - can or tank storage

  • Below 30 litres. No notification is required
  • Between 30-275 litres. Notify PEA with your name and fuel storage location
  • Over 275+ litres. Petrol storage certification is required. Download and complete the application form below. Certification is valid for three years and conditions can be attached.

Petrol storage at a workplace

Not dispensing - can or tank storage

If the workplace does not dispense petrol the Petroleum Consolidation Regulations do not apply (DSEAR only). 

A workplace may have over 275 litres but unless dispensing it does not need certification or a licence.

The regulations do not apply to a workplace vehicle engine test bed, which does not need a petroleum storage certificate.

How to apply for petrol storage certification

Download the application form (Word doc) [153KB]

Email completed forms to

Petroleum certificate fees 2024

We will send you an invoice for the certificate fee after we have received your application. Fees are: 

  • Less than 2,500 litres - £48 for each year of certificate
  • More than 2,500 litres but less than 50,000 litres - £65 for each year of certificate
  • More than 50,000 litres - £137 for each year of certificate 

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon