Toggle mobile menu visibility

Skip licences

You need a licence to place a skip on a public highway (verge, path or road). You need to complete an application every time a skip is placed. This is a statutory requirement as specified in Section 139 of the Highways Act 1980.

We will ask companies that place a skip on the highway without a licence to remove the structure or apply for a licence immediately. We may also notify the police.

A licence is not required if the skip is to be placed on private property.

Minimum public liability insurance cover required for this application is £5m.


You will need to pay a fee to place a skip on a public highway. Visit Highways services fees and charges to find out more.

Before you begin your application

You will be asked to upload copies of:

  • Public liability insurance policy
  • Waste carrier's certificate
  • A drawing or picture to show the proposed position of the skip

Skip licence terms and conditions (PDF) [518KB]

Apply for a skip licence

For information on safety at street and road works go to the GOV.UK website. (opens new window)

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon