Specialist Resource Bases (SRBs)
Speech, language and communication bases in Norfolk
You should read the speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) support guidance before considering exploring a speech language and communication base offer.
Speech, language and communication bases are for children in the 4-7 age range who:
- Have a primary need of speech language and communication
- Have an understanding of what is being said within the average range
- Have been assessed and referred by an NHS Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)
- Need intensive speech and language therapy integrated into the curriculum
- Have been referred by the home school or pre school in consultation with the child's SALT
You do not need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to access support.
The support available
The speech, language and communication bases offer sessional placements of between 2-4 terms. Children attend four days per week, with a fifth day at their home school.
There is a maximum of 10 children allocated to each class in a base. The staff team includes a qualified teacher with experience and expertise in supporting children with speech and language difficulties, plus support staff and access to dedicated speech and language therapist time per base.
Children access various inclusion activities in the SRB school as part of the placement. The bases follow the national curriculum differentiated to support language and learning needs. Children have regular sessions with the SALT.
Progress and targets are shared between the SRB and the home school with aim for the child to return to the home school full time usually within four terms of support being provided.
Children and schools can access support from our speech, language and communication outreach teacher, who provides advice, support and training.
Key Stage 1 (up to year 2)
- Browick Road Primary School, Wymondham (South Norfolk)
- Heartsease Primary Academy, Norwich (Central)
- Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School, Cromer (North East Norfolk)
- Southtown Primary Academy, Great Yarmouth (East Norfolk)
- Terrington St Clements Community School, nr King's Lynn (West Norfolk)