Toggle mobile menu visibility

Apply for a vehicle access crossing (dropped kerb)

Residential vehicle access crossings, also known as 'dropped kerbs' provide the legal means to allow a householder to access their property safely and easily across a highway verge or footway when using a car or other domestic vehicle. The kerbs, where present, are dropped from their normal height and the footway or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it.

A non-refundable fee of £182.79 is payable on making your application for permission to construct a vehicle access crossing to your property. On receipt of your application, it will be assessed against the criteria set out within our vehicle access crossing guidance (PDF) [814KB] and we will provide you with a decision, usually within 28 days.

If permission is granted, we will arrange for a quotation to be sent to you by the County Council's own contractor, the Norse Group. They carry out all vehicle access crossing works in Norfolk. Please note, the construction costs will vary depending on the situation. As a rough guide, the average cost of installing a vehicular access is £2,025. But costs can vary considerably depending on the size of the work or if other factors, such as traffic restrictions, are required.

If the application is refused, a full written explanation will be provided.

Before you begin your application

If you are a tenant or leaseholder, you must provide written consent from the property owner that the works may be undertaken. A copy of their consent can be uploaded into the form.

To complete this form you will need to have read our vehicle access crossing guidance (PDF) [814KB] and to provide the following information, which can be uploaded into the form: - 

  • A detailed sketch/plan or photograph(s) showing the layout and position of the proposed access, including all dimensions
  • Show lamp columns, trees, manholes, watercourses and other similar obstructions on the sketch/plan/photograph(s)
  • If porous material is not being used to the surface of the adjacent driveway show appropriate proposed drainage system 

The diagram below shows a typical layout for a vehicle crossing, as viewed from above your house.

Apply for a vehicle access (dropped kerb)

Please note: If you submit an application knowing that certain criteria (i.e. minimum distance between the property boundary and front of house/garage) set out within our vehicle access crossing guidance (PDF) [814KB] cannot be met, your application will be refused and the fee is not refundable. 

Example drawing

Dimensions a to f need to be shown on your sketch/plan/photograph(s) of the proposed access and parking area.

Dropped Kerb Sketch

  1. Distance from the house to the public footpath (front garden length) must be a minimum of 5 metres or 6 metres if parking area is in front of a garage or door
  2. Distance from the far left of the property to the upper left corner of the crossing (length of your front left fence, if you have one)
  3. Width of the upper part of the crossing (normally 2.75 metres - 3 № edgings)
  4. Distance from the upper right corner of the crossing to the far right of the property (length of your front right fence, if you have one)
  5. Width of the lower part of the crossing (normally 3.66 metres - 4 № dropped kerbs excluding dropper kerbs to each end)
  6. Width of verge/footway