Toggle mobile menu visibility


An advocate is someone that can help you to get your voice heard and speak about what is important to you. They are separate from Children's Services and work for you. Advocates will listen to you and help you to put your views across. Every child and young person experiencing care has a right to request and see an advocate.

Advocacy is available to children and young people who:

  • Are currently experiencing care
  • Have previous experience of care
  • Have child protection meetings about them
  • Want to make a complaint about Children's Services

You can contact an advocate for lots of different reasons, such as:

  • Where you live
  • Seeing family and friends
  • Your safety
  • If you have concerns about your care
  • If you disagree with plans being made about you

What other young people have said about advocates

"I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for my advocate"

"She was here for me, she helped me and spoke for me when I didn't want to"

"I have someone who understood what I was thinking about and got how I feel"

"She helped me with my views when I was afraid to mention it"

How do I get an advocate and how can I ask to see one?

If you would like an advocate or want further information about advocacy services you can contact National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS):

You can also talk to your social worker, independent reviewing officer (IRO), foster carer or any other trusted adult if you would like an advocate.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon