Toggle mobile menu visibility

Getting care and support

Adult social care helps people aged 18 and over who need practical care and support because of an illness or disability. It can also help those caring for someone with social care needs.

Care and support can be many things, like help with washing, eating, or adapting your home.

Your needs will determine what help you require and where the help comes from. Some people stay independent at home with help from their local community. Others need more help - like a care home. If you need help urgently and it's not a situation that requires 999 services, see our how to get urgent help section. 

Managing your needs first

We encourage you to help yourself to stay independent in your home before coming to us.

To help you do this, we have:

You can also try:

Getting our help

If you find your needs are too great or you need more help, contact us using the online self-assessment form on the contact our adult social care team page. You can use the phone number on that page if you're unable to use the form.

When you contact us about your care and support needs or those of someone you are caring for, we'll help you to:

  • Get the information and advice you need to plan for your current and future care needs
  • Remain as independent as possible and stay in your own home
  • Get the care and support you need
  • Carry on caring and look after your own wellbeing if you are a carer 

We might also do a Care Act assessment with you if we think you'd benefit from having one.

Types of social care services

There are many types of social care services, depending on your needs. These include: 

  • Home care (also known as home support, domiciliary care, and non-residential care). These services help people with staying independent at home, in housing with care  or supported living. For example, you might need help with washing yourself or require assistive technology in your home. 
  • Day centres - opportunities to meet up with other people in your area
  • Care homes and nursing homes
  • Care and support in prisons - if you have a friend or family member in a Norfolk prison, talk to the prison if you think they have social care needs. Any referral for an assessment will come to us from the prison. We can also support people living in approved places after their release from prison. 
  • End of life care
  • Short-term reablement support at home (usually after leaving hospital or if you're struggling with an illness)

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon