Toggle mobile menu visibility

Apply for a vehicle access crossing (dropped kerb)

What is a dropped kerb?

Residential vehicle access crossings or crossovers, also known as 'dropped kerbs', allow vehicles to access your property. Any kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the footpath or verge is made stronger to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it.

You need to apply for permission to have a dropped kerb installed outside your property. When you apply, please say how wide you would like the crossing to be. There must be no obstacles, such as streetlights or trees, where you want the crossing to go.

Vehicle access crossing guidance

Your application will be assessed against the criteria set out in our guidance:  vehicle access crossing guidance (PDF) [814KB]. We will usually give a decision within 28 days.

If we give permission, the County Council's contractor, the Norse Group, will send you a quotation. They carry out all vehicle access crossing works in Norfolk.

If the application is refused, we will give you a full written explanation.

Construction costs

The construction costs vary depending on the situation. As a rough guide, the average cost of installing a dropped kerb is £2,500 (2024 prices). But costs can vary a lot depending on the size of the work. This includes how wide you would like the crossing to be and if other factors, such as traffic restrictions during the construction, are needed.

If you are disabled, you may be able to get help towards the cost of installing a dropped kerb. Find out more about making physical changes to your home.

Application fee

You will need to pay a non-refundable fee when you apply for the dropped kerb. Visit Highways services fees and charges to find out more.

If we refuse your application, we will not give you a refund.

Before you apply

If you are a tenant or leaseholder, you must provide written consent from the freeholder that the work may be carried out. You can upload a copy of their consent into the form.

Before you complete the form, you must first read our guidance:  vehicle access crossing guidance (PDF) [814KB]. You must also provide the following information, which you can upload into the form:

  • A detailed sketch/plan or photograph(s) showing the layout and position of the proposed access, including all dimensions. You must show streetlights, trees, manholes, watercourses, such as streams, and any other obstructions.
  • If permeable material is not being used on the surface of the adjacent driveway, you will need to provide details of a suitable drainage system 

Apply with or without a MyNorfolk account

When you apply you can either log in to MyNorfolk first or continue to the form without logging in. If you want to register for a new account, follow the link to log in.

If you log in to MyNorfolk before applying, the form will already have your contact details filled in. You will also be able to sign in to MyNorfolk to see the progress of all enquiries you've made.

If you apply without an account, you can still receive email updates about the progress of your enquiry.

Apply for a vehicle access (dropped kerb)

Example drawing

If possible, include a drawing showing the following measurements. If this isn't possible, include a photo instead and mark on the photo where you want the vehicle access to be.

Show dimensions a to f on your sketch/plan/photograph(s) of the proposed access and parking area.

Dropped Kerb Sketch

a. Distance from the house to the public footpath (front garden length) must be a minimum of 5 metres or 6 metres if parking area is in front of a garage or door

b. Distance from the far left of the property to the upper left corner of the crossing (length of your front left fence, if you have one)

c. Width of the upper part of the crossing (if the crossing is for a single car this is normally 2.75 metres or 3 edging blocks)

d. Distance from the upper right corner of the crossing to the far right of the property (length of your front right fence, if you have one)

e. Width of the lower part of the crossing (if the crossing is for a single car this is normally 3.66 metres or 4 dropped kerbs excluding dropper kerbs to each end)

f. Width of verge/footpath


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon