Toggle mobile menu visibility

Who can get a Short Break and how to apply

Who can get a Short Break?

We offer Short Breaks to children and young people who:

  • live in Norfolk
  • are aged 5-17
  • have "a physical or mental impairment that is substantial and has a long-term negative effect on their ability to do normal daily tasks" - this is from the Equality Act 2010

If you are not sure if this applies to your child, you can contact the Short Breaks team to ask for support.

If you are not eligible the Short Breaks team may direct you to local support services or give advice on how a professional could refer your family to the children's advice and duty service (CADS).

Children under 5

If your child is under 5 and has exceptional needs, they can be referred by a professional, such as a social worker, to the children's advice and duty service (CADS) explaining their needs. They might then be referred to one of the specialist children with disabilities social work teams for an assessment of your child's and family's needs.

How to apply for a Short Break

Apply for a Short Break

You can also contact the Short Breaks team.