Toggle mobile menu visibility

Home education guidelines

Removing your child from school to home educate

If your child is of pre-school age then you are not obliged to do anything.

If you are withdrawing your child from a school and they are of statutory school age, you should inform the head teacher of the school in writing, stating that you intend to educate your child at home.

Your child’s school has a duty to inform the local authority when deregistration takes place. However, it would help us considerably if you made contact with us too, giving your child’s name, date of birth and the date you intend to start home education; please also include your address, telephone number and email address.

Many parents take advantage of this contact with the local authority to ask for advice and assistance.

Once a child is known to us, we will offer to visit to discuss your home education and to answer any queries you may have.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon