Toggle mobile menu visibility

People who can help you prepare for adult life

Guidance adviser (GA)

Guidance advisers (GAs) support young people by providing careers guidance if they are not in education, employment or training (NEET). This includes young people with SEN, whether they have an education, health and care (EHC) plan or not.

GAs work with young people aged 16-18 (up to 25 for young people with an EHCP) but tend to start their work with young people towards the end of Year 11.

Not all young people need help from a GA. Some young people move on from school easily. They go on to their chosen course and eventually into work, training or other activities.

However, some young people may have difficulties that mean that they will leave school and become NEET if they don't get support from a GA. GAs will help them with their goals and aspirations and work out how to achieve them. GAs can also give NEET young people advice about education, training and employment with training eg apprenticeships.

If the young person has an EHCP, GAs can give advice to other professionals, including schools and colleges, about provision the young person might need when they leave school.

How to get support

If you are NEET or might become NEET, you can call the NEET helpline on 0344 800 80 22.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon