Toggle mobile menu visibility

Transition between children's and adult health services

Planning process

Most health providers have a lead professional coordinating transition between Paediatric and Adult services. If your child has complex health needs, there will be a key professional to support you and your child through your transition to adult services.

  • You and your child should be at the centre of the planning process.
  • You should be invited to ask questions, give views and make decisions.
  • The professionals supporting you and your child should listen and involve you and your child in decisions about the future.

Once your child's care moves to adult services, your GP will be the key professional overseeing your care. It is important to be registered with a GP. You can find out how on the NHS website (opens new window).

People aged 16 or over are entitled to consent to their own treatment. This can only be overruled in exceptional circumstances. There is a legal framework known as The Mental Capacity Act which is designed to protect and support people who may lack the mental capacity to make their own safe decisions about a range of subjects. It applies to people aged 16 and over.

If your young person has an education, health and care (EHC) plan their health needs will be recorded as part of their plan. It is important that the professionals who have supported your young person as a child, speak to their colleagues in adult health services in plenty of time. This is to ensure adult staff are fully trained to meet your young person's health needs and there is time to make necessary adjustments to access the service and meet their health needs.